Bandsaw blade alignment Laguna 16HD
(04-09-2018, 07:42 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You won't get harmonic vibration if the tension is set correctly and, if you have it, you can eliminate it by increasing or decreasing the tension.  

John

no doubt. 

nevertheless, the guides will end up focusing your tension across a much smaller area where it actually matters.
I use this analogy.  a bandsaw is like a guitar where the string is strung between the nut and the bridge.  The band is tensioned between the two wheels.
In order to control the vibration on the guitar i can either change the tension on the string, or i can fret the string.  The ceramic guides effectively "fret" the band around the area of the cut with no loss of momentum.  moreover, the large surface area that grabs the band prevents it from twisting.  Of course, catastrophic failure (band breakage) can and does happen. But in my experience, no more than in ball bearing saws.  I honestly think the best bearing system was developed 100 years ago with steel bearings or lignum bearings, but alas Carter convinced us otherwise.  

All this being said, guides are the LAST step in setting up a saw.  I completely agree that a properly tensioned and centered blade will do more for the cut than the guides.  I also agree that these steps alone will lead to a straight cut and that the guides are INSURANCE for a straight cut and not to be relied upon.  For what its worth i also do not believe in adjusting the fence for drift.  Mostly because if one is doing so, they havent properly tensioned or centered the blade.

oh well,  academic conversations. 

-Wayne
(04-09-2018, 08:13 PM)loosetoe Wrote: no doubt. 

nevertheless, the guides will end up focusing your tension across a much smaller area where it actually matters.
I use this analogy.  a bandsaw is like a guitar where the string is strung between the nut and the bridge.  The band is tensioned between the two wheels.
In order to control the vibration on the guitar i can either change the tension on the string, or i can fret the string.  The ceramic guides effectively "fret" the band around the area of the cut with no loss of momentum.  moreover, the large surface area that grabs the band prevents it from twisting.  Of course, catastrophic failure (band breakage) can and does happen. But in my experience, no more than in ball bearing saws.  I honestly think the best bearing system was developed 100 years ago with steel bearings or lignum bearings, but alas Carter convinced us otherwise.  

All this being said, guides are the LAST step in setting up a saw.  I completely agree that a properly tensioned and centered blade will do more for the cut than the guides.  I also agree that these steps alone will lead to a straight cut and that the guides are INSURANCE for a straight cut and not to be relied upon.  For what its worth i also do not believe in adjusting the fence for drift.  Mostly because if one is doing so, they havent properly tensioned or centered the blade.

oh well,  academic conversations. 

-Wayne

Amen.  And not academic at all; simple facts.  

John