Shop wiring question
I am getting things laid out to wire the outlets in my shop.
It is an unfinished detached garage.
I just had a 100 amp service panel installed so I have plenty of room for new circuits.
I would like to have 2 110v circuits running down the length of the wall. I want to be able to run the shop vac and say a palm sander from the same spot using individual circuits.

Should I use 2 gang boxes with an outlet for each circuit (differently colored) or use 2 single boxes on the opposite sides of the same studs?
I would like to space 3 of these about 6 feet apart.
There will be 2 220v outlets between the 3 110s.
I am not an electrician, just a DIY'er.

I would use (an am using) 2 gang boxes.  When I cover the studs, I will have to cut one hole in the paneling (OSB or plywood).  I am using deep boxes so that I do not have an issue with wire count.  I am also using Wago connectors.  They take up much less room in the box.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I would do separate boxes- easier for me to keep things straight, but tgat’s Just me

I would run two circuits down the wall and space the receptacles at whatever your desired spacing is. Then just wire each circuit to every other receptacle like this:    1-----2-----1-----2-----1-----2   No real need for small tools like those to be used on separate circuits, many people use Festool vacs for instance with the sander plugged right into the vacuum. Often people who have dealt with overloaded circuits and continual breaker trips want to go overkill when they wire up a new shop, but done correctly you won't have those problems. The above setup works great, just limit the number of receptacles you wire to each circuit and this layout will help keep the load distributed.
(03-30-2018, 07:34 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I would do separate boxes- easier for me to keep things straight, but tgat’s Just me

If you do install 2 gang boxes be sure and keep the neutrals straight, once they go through a gfci that neutral must go with the hot for that circuit.   If the two breakers are put on the same bus a neutral could become overloaded, now or in the future  if someone moves a breaker.
I would not install a 3 wire combo 120/240 circuit feeding both the 120v outlets and the 240 outlet on the same circuit.  Way too many pitfalls now and in the future.   Roly
I've done that, but only with 2 gang boxes. I think the wall covering work (I used drywall) will be a lot easier.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I don't see any added utility in having separate boxes.  I would use 2-gang boxes, and either put both duplexes on the same, alternating boxes, or put one duplex on each of two 20A circuits (my preference). 

You can also put just one 120V duplex in a 2-gang box, and a 240V receptacle (or even a 240V duplex, which is uncommon) in the other half if you wanted to, though I'm not sure why you'd want to unless you know what you'll have in a particular spot.  Like a VFD-driven lathe at 240V, plus task lighting or router connection (for fluted work, for instance).  But then, shop layouts always change.  My lathe has been in three different locations so far, but I have 20A 240V receptacles on one circuit sprinkled all around the perimeter walls, just for that reason, RAS and Unisaw included (they share, but only one runs at a time).

But I wouldn't put separate boxes, as it's a lot more work including drywall work, as already pointed out, and it really doesn't get you anything.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
A side note:
If you run 2/12 romex with a 20 amp breaker you can use 15 amp receptacles as long as you have more than a single 15 amp receptacle (5-15R). A single duplex receptacle, or 15 amp receptacles daisy chained qualifies as more than one receptacle. You can also install 20 amp receptacles on that circuit.

If you install NEMA 5-20R receptacles, you can use 15 and 20 amp plugs.

One single receptacle on a 20 amp circuit: A 20 amp branch circuit with one single receptacle and no other
receptacles must use a NEMA 5-20R (20 amp) receptacle.

It doesn't cost much more to go with all 20 amp circuits.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Never seen the point in using seperate circuits in the same box or alternating circuits as you go down the wall.

Been in my shop 25+ years and I've never tripped breaker from overloading a circuit.

IMO, waste of time & money.

Ed
I ran double boxes with 2 circuits. I also used almond recepticles on 1 circuit, white on the other.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy