crib rail attachment suggestions
got a crib ive been assisting my nephew with- his first big woodworking project. the plans call for using dowels to attach the rails to each end, but we both think that wont work as this has to be able to be disassembled and be sturdy when assembled. so just dowels wouldnt be wise to have it be to the only thing holding the rails to the ends. soooo, im wondering if anyone has any ideas, other than corner "L" brackets, to lock these together. if we did use the "L" brackets, i thin we would have to use some threaded inserts so the wood doesnt strip out over time.
theres a little difference from side to side- on the right side, the railsbut into a 90 degree corner. on the left, they but into a piece of trim for the side and theres about an inch before making the 90 degree corner.
the pictures show the top left and right side. if i should get better pics to help understand,let me know- ill call the professional picture takin person.
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-30-2018, 03:38 PM)tomsteve Wrote: got a crib ive been assisting my nephew with- his first big woodworking project. the plans call for using dowels to attach the rails to each end, but we both think that wont work as this has to be able to be disassembled and be sturdy when assembled. so just dowels wouldnt be wise to have it be to the only thing holding the rails to the ends. soooo, im wondering if anyone has any ideas, other than corner "L" brackets, to lock these together. if we did use the "L" brackets, i thin we would have to use some threaded inserts so the wood doesnt strip out over time.
theres a little difference from side to side- on the right side, the railsbut into a 90 degree corner. on the left, they but into a piece of trim for the side and theres about an inch before making the 90 degree corner.
the pictures show the top left and right side. if i should get better pics to help understand,let me know- ill call the professional picture takin person.
Smile

I used threaded inserts in the rails and connector bolts.  Worked fine, made some disassembly/reassembly no problems.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-30-2018, 04:40 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: I used threaded inserts in the rails and connector bolts.  Worked fine, made some disassembly/reassembly no problems.

thats what i would like tro use. however, im not sure i could drill the holes straight through for the connector bolts. i could get the inserts into the bed rails no problem, but on the right side the rails butt into a cabinet and left into the crib end. i dont know how to get the holes drilled through the trim without having the hole end up cattywhampus. actually, just on the cabinet side. the other end i can use my dowel jig to get the holes drilled through the the trim no problem.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-30-2018, 03:38 PM)tomsteve Wrote: got a crib ive been assisting my nephew with- his first big woodworking project. the plans call for using dowels to attach the rails to each end, but we both think that wont work as this has to be able to be disassembled and be sturdy when assembled. so just dowels wouldnt be wise to have it be to the only thing holding the rails to the ends. soooo, im wondering if anyone has any ideas, other than corner "L" brackets, to lock these together. if we did use the "L" brackets, i thin we would have to use some threaded inserts so the wood doesnt strip out over time.
the pictures show the top left and right side. if i should get better pics to help understand ,let me know- ill call the professional picture takin person.
Smile

Use bed rail fasteners, perfect for your needs. There is 2 parts to each set. One piece ,I refer to it as female piece is screwed to the head board and the male piece to the rail. Look at your own bed, probably uses the same thing. Buy them from Custom Service hardware, about $4.00 a set. Rockler sells the same ones $15.00
for the same thing.

mike
I used bed rail fasteners on my crib and it worked perfectly.

Jay