Flooring Advice Please
I'm setting up a luthier workshop in a large bedroom in our newly-built house. The entire home is built on a concrete slab. This will be a hand tools only area with benches and storage. I have some back pain issues and can't work on a concrete floor; I need something with some "give". It will get messy, so it needs to sweep easily. I'm thinking about vinyl plank flooring over a soft pad, or perhaps some sort of gym flooring. I can't use anything over about 1" (25mm) or the transition to the hall tile will be extreme. My former shop had Dri-Core, which I just varnished. But this is in a dry climate (NM) and I don't need the moisture resistance. And it needs to look reasonably nice, and be easily removed when we eventually sell. Ideas?
(03-30-2018, 08:23 PM)BassMD Wrote: I'm setting up a luthier workshop in a large bedroom in our newly-built house. The entire home is built on a concrete slab. This will be a hand tools only area with benches and storage. I have some back pain issues and can't work on a concrete floor; I need something with some "give". It will get messy, so it needs to sweep easily. I'm thinking about vinyl plank flooring over a soft pad, or perhaps some sort of gym flooring. I can't use anything over about 1" (25mm) or the transition to the hall tile will be extreme. My former shop had Dri-Core, which I just varnished. But this is in a dry climate (NM) and I don't need the moisture resistance. And it needs to look reasonably nice, and be easily removed when we eventually sell. Ideas?

How about wood-grain snap together laminate with a foam pad? Pretty inexpensive, provides cushion, easy to install and easy to remove later, if necessary.

Doug
When looking at vinyl plank, read the manufacturer's installation instructions.  Some will deal with a pad base, some won't.

Like Doug said, many laminate floors are laid over a pad and that will provide some give.  Also meets your easy-sweep criteria.

I'd also look at padded interlocking squares, available in all quality ranges from cheap to pricey.  I put some cheaper stuff in my shop; it's about 1/2" thick, IIRC.  It's good for my application because I'm messy with glues, finishes and stuff, so I don't care about staining.  That pad is also not easy to sweep clean.  But I've seen others that are.  I think they also range in density.  The cheap stuff I got compresses pretty easily, but my feet are a lot happier at the end of a long day.  The downside to this is that you need to consider if you're going to install in one continuous floor or just where you walk.  I don't putting a bench directly on this kind floor would be best; I think the bench might have stability issues.
As mentioned, much of your work will be in specific locations. You can afford to invest in a couple of good qualty standing mats. Cheaper than doing the whole floor, no issues with wobbly bench, easy to tilt and shake off, can take with you when you move.

But don't forget the rest of the continuum....
Your floor is connected to your feet that transfers the load to your legs, hips, and back.

See a podiatrist and get a good set of work shoes, wear a back brace or weightlifter's belt.

Talk to a doctor/physical therapist and get a ergonomic chair/stool...
and adjust your bench (may need a longer overhang to accommodate your thighs in a sitting position) and bench height accordingly.

I am not a pt, I was the chairman of our town's Human Rights Commission and I am trying to recall the accommodations implemented for an employee with back problems whose job entailed assembling parts over a workbench. Best to get professional advice. Backs are complicated and can be very painful, but some can be mitigated with proper oversight.

edit: just remembered another accommodation...
Slats were installed on his workbench so parts wouldn't roll down, some specific jigs screwed to his bench, then the entire bench top was slanted up at some more comfortable angle. That was so effective that a number of coworkers did the same.
In our tool room at work they took a sheet of 1/2” plywood and nailed 1 x 2 furring strips at 14” on center and the workers have one at each work station. They make those rubber interlocking flooring panels in much thicker and tougher material and it is listed as “horse stall mats”. I’ve used the horse stall mats— very durable,
https://www.greatmats.com/shop/cart.php?...gJIAPD_BwE
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-31-2018, 01:38 PM)Cooler Wrote: In our tool room at work they took a sheet of 1/2” plywood and nailed 1 x 2 furring strips at 14” on center and the workers have one at each work station.  They make those rubber interlocking flooring panels in much thicker and tougher material and it is listed as “horse stall mats”.  I’ve used the horse stall mats— very durable,
https://www.greatmats.com/shop/cart.php?...gJIAPD_BwE

We used to own and run a horse farm, so I'm familiar with those mats. They are heavy and durable, but they would make our house smell like a tire store. And I don't want a black floor. But thanks for your input!
(03-31-2018, 12:45 PM)srv52761 Wrote: As mentioned, much of your work will be in specific locations.  You can afford to invest in a couple of good qualty standing mats.  Cheaper than doing the whole floor, no issues with wobbly bench, easy to tilt and shake off, can take with you when you move.

But don't forget the rest of the continuum....
Your floor is connected to your feet that transfers the load to your legs, hips, and back.

See a podiatrist and get a good set of work shoes, wear a back brace or weightlifter's belt.

Talk to a doctor/physical therapist and get a ergonomic chair/stool...
and adjust your bench (may need a longer overhang to accommodate your thighs in a sitting position)  and bench  height accordingly.  

I am not a pt, I was the chairman of our town's Human Rights Commission and I am trying to recall the accommodations implemented for an employee with back problems whose job entailed assembling parts over a workbench.   Best to get professional advice.  Backs are complicated and can be very painful, but some can be mitigated with proper oversight.

edit:  just remembered another accommodation...
Slats were installed on his workbench so parts wouldn't roll down, some specific jigs screwed to his bench, then the entire bench top was slanted up at some more comfortable angle.  That was so effective that a number of coworkers did the same.

This is really good stuff, srv. I'm totally on board. I wear soft-bottom shoes with gel pads, and I have a magnetic back-support belt that I swear by, and wear it whenever doing strenuous activity. I get back-care advice and treatment from an Osteopath, stretch and strengthen daily, and keep myself aware of my posture and avoid unnatural motions. However, spinal stenosis is a serious thing, and I have to deal with it when it flares up. Thanks for your good public service posting!

By the way, at this moment I'm leaning toward vinyl plank flooring over pad.
(04-03-2018, 09:53 AM)BassMD Wrote: This is really good stuff, srv. I'm totally on board. I wear soft-bottom shoes with gel pads, and I have a magnetic back-support belt that I swear by, and wear it whenever doing strenuous activity. I get back-care advice and treatment from an Osteopath, stretch and strengthen daily, and keep myself aware of my posture and avoid unnatural motions. However, spinal stenosis is a serious thing, and I have to deal with it when it flares up. Thanks for your good public service posting!

By the way, at this moment I'm leaning toward vinyl plank flooring over pad.

Okay, I've decided to go ahead with a high-quality cork-backed vinyl plank over the best Pergo pad. The rep has advised me that this will work fine and the warranty will be in effect. Thanks for your input.
I wanted to put a waterproof pad under some vinyl plank, so far I haven't found one that will work that way
(04-20-2018, 03:32 PM)EricU Wrote: I wanted to put a waterproof pad under some vinyl plank, so far I haven't found one that will work that way

Could you put down heavy plastic vapor barrier under the pad?