ac age ?
on the age question it is just something I'm curious about so if it is work, don't bother.  Thought someone might be able to determine the age of the Carrier AC I have.  I've looked on line and made an estimate from what I have found but it seems to old.  It's an old squat round one not the taller ones that look like garbage cans.

The Serial Number is A950464, the plate narrow and long is faded but I double checked it.  If I'm using the right instructions it was made in Jan, 79 which makes me think I'm messing up.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
I can check with a local distributor on Mon or Tues and get them to run that serial number. Got a model number to go with?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

38TE024300, after the TE might be an O instead of a zero. Thanks. If its a hassle don't worry about it. I'm replacing the unit, but know it's old and still kicking so was just kind of curious. I was thinking between 25 and 30, not 79.
mark
Don't have my book with me, but it looks like a 1995.
that's what I was thinking initially but then I saw this site and was wondering, http://building-center.org/carrier-hvac-age/
and it seems to match style 4.
mark
yeah, I thought it looked like a zero, but wasn't completely sure since I couldn't a reference to a model with just TD. The name plate is just metal in that section so I had to read the indentations and at an angle. It looks old. The wire that goes around the fins is solid rust and has been since I bought the house in 2008. The unit is a squat round unit and I thought I read that they stopped making them pre 90's but couldn't find anything stating for sure other then a "guy" on the internet. The only spot where the paint hasn't faded away is the back curved access door in the back and it's been that way since 2008. The concrete it sits on is crumbling.

If that is the case then the unit is hitting 39 this year although I don't know when the unit would have been installed.
mark
yep, got estimates and replacing furnace and ac in a week or so. That got me to wondering how old the ac was. It's been good, still runs, but has a leak. There was snow on my shop roof today. Can tell the difference between the shop and garage insulation, shop was still there, garage was melted.
mark
(04-01-2018, 12:11 AM)oscarMadison Wrote: that's what I was thinking initially but then I saw this site and was wondering, http://building-center.org/carrier-hvac-age/
and it seems to match style 4.

That's what I use. You can also track down recalls there... they won't track you down.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay