Need contour sanding advice
This is my first go at contour sanding. The piece I am working on is a small piece of unknown hardwood that I would like to incorperate into a box top.  It has some surface cracks that I filled in with epoxy. In hand sanding the middle portion I broke thru the aged part of the sapwood into fresh sapwood. I then realized that in order for the piece to finish properly I was going to have to do a lot of sanding to expose all the sapwood.  Both pieces are from the same mother piece. The sawn piece on the right is just to give a better idea of the wood I am dealing with. The bottom pics are with a wipe of mineral spirits.  In looking thru the catalogs I see there are a lot of options for contour sanding: mops; flapwheels; mandrels; etc.

For those of you with experience in contour sanding my question is which method would you recommend for this piece?

I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
I asked a similar question recently about live edge sanding.  The videos I saw online showed a draw knife in use.  It cleaned things up but it looked "worked".  If you want it to look more organic you need to sand.

They make sanding pads with 1" and 1½" and 2" foam backing in 5".  

If you have enough airflow to handle it they make 3" diameter random oscillating pneumatic sanders with the deep foam backing.  That would be ideal if your live edge has a lot of tight dips and turns.

I will look back and see if I can find my original thread on this.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...ur+sanding

Dan gave a link.  It is not as deep as I wanted.  I'm still looking.
Dewalt makes this sanding pad for your oscillating tool:  [Image: dewalt-oscillating-tool-accessories-dwa4200-64_1000.jpg]
The alternative I have gravitated towards is simply texturing the surface with a sharp gouge, chip carving I guess. I take a pass (across the grain) and repeat next to the first pass. Keep going and the surface is ready for finish and has a unique revealing texture that is pleasant to eye and hand. A big bonus is that the process is much more pleasant than power sanding of any kind.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
This guy is using a spoke shave.  It seems relatively fast:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GdyKVVPymZQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
(04-03-2018, 11:42 AM)Papa Jim Wrote: This is my first go at contour sanding. The piece I am working on is a small piece of unknown hardwood that I would like to incorperate into a box top.  It has some surface cracks that I filled in with epoxy. In hand sanding the middle portion I broke thru the aged part of the sapwood into fresh sapwood. I then realized that in order for the piece to finish properly I was going to have to do a lot of sanding to expose all the sapwood.  Both pieces are from the same mother piece. The sawn piece on the right is just to give a better idea of the wood I am dealing with. The bottom pics are with a wipe of mineral spirits.  In looking thru the catalogs I see there are a lot of options for contour sanding: mops; flapwheels; mandrels; etc.

For those of you with experience in contour sanding my question is which method would you recommend for this piece?

Brass or stiff bristle brush on drill.  Follow with hand sanding to level out the furrows. 

https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Assorted-Po...+for+drill

https://www.amazon.com/82440-Wheel-4-Inc...+for+drill

For real contour sanding (moldings) love the mops.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I recently made a box for my son in law, and used the curved spokeshave from lee valley to remove most of the wood, then wrapped sandpaper around a folded rag which allowed it to mold to the shape as I applied pressure on the passes where needed.  I too didn't mind the extra time over the lack of noise and greater control.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
The final product:

Not entirely happy with the proportions, and I think on the next one I will try to also use the natural wood for the front and back of the box.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!