Cutting board wood choices?
(04-04-2018, 02:00 PM)Duane N Wrote: I have a couple of hard maple cutting boards under my belt (my parents love their "his" and "hers" cutting boards I recently made for them) but I still have some shorts of hard and soft maple left over (enough for a couple more cutting boards).

I possibly want to add some accent woods to these but I've read mixed answers about using African Mahogany in a cutting board.  These won't be end grain cutting boards just to clarify.  Also, what about Hickory being used in a cutting board?

I'm trying to use what woods I have on hand rather than purchasing traditional woods used in cutting boards.

Thanks in advance

I am happy that you asked this question. I am about to make a new cutting board for my wife. I have used maple in the past and added walnut breadboard ends for cheese boards as gifts. I will most likely stay with maple.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

You're welcome.  I just made 3 more cutting boards this weekend out of left over hard maple and one has some hickory strips in it.  I posted a picture of them on my Facebook page and all are sold even before I'm finished with them.

I'm also trying my first end grain hard maple cutting board.  I have to replace the knives in my planer before surfacing that one. 
Yes
(04-08-2018, 03:52 AM)Duane N Wrote: You're welcome.  I just made 3 more cutting boards this weekend out of left over hard maple and one has some hickory strips in it.  I posted a picture of them on my Facebook page and all are sold even before I'm finished with them.

I'm also trying my first end grain hard maple cutting board.  I have to replace the knives in my planer before surfacing that one. 
Yes
No help on the cutting boards but I love looking at your bird photos !!!!!!! Outstanding !!!!!
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Most any fruit or nut wood will work. I’ve made cutting boards from walnut, cherry, maple, and used other woods as accent woods. You may want to pay attention to expansion if mixing too many woods, as different woods expand and contract at different rates.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-08-2018, 08:38 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..............
No help on the cutting boards but I love looking at your bird photos !!!!!!! Outstanding !!!!!
Yes

What Jack said!!! Wow! Very nice!