Help with a Motor
I don't know a lot about motors and I need a new one for my lathe

i picked up an old Atlas 12" x 36" last year. Like the old Beavers that were in high school shops, which is where this came from.

The bearings seized on the motor that came with it. I think just real dusty and dirty because I can still turn it but its real tight.

It says to use a 1/4 to 1/2 hp 1728 rpm on it.
I put a furnace motor on, 1/3hp

After 2 months I have burned it out. When taking a decent cut it would slow to a stop.

I like this turning thing but don't want to go spend a grand on a new lathe.
What motor type and hp should I put on this

Thanks
Dara
For The Love Of Wood
(04-05-2018, 09:27 AM)Dara Wrote: I don't know a lot about motors and I need a new one for my lathe

i picked up an old Atlas 12" x 36" last year. Like the old Beavers that were in high school shops, which is where this came from.

The bearings seized on the motor that came with it. I think just real dusty and dirty because I can still turn it but its real tight.

After 2 months I have burned it out. When taking a decent cut it would slow to a stop.

Capacitor-start, induction-run of about 3/4 HP rating or so should do nicely.  

Couple hundred new, or perhaps a call to a local motor shop might turn a suitable used, or inspect, fix the original for less.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(04-05-2018, 09:27 AM)Dara Wrote: I don't know a lot about motors and I need a new one for my lathe

Thanks
Dara
Furnace motors can not handle the loads of a lathe. You need a 3/4HP minimum Capacitor start / induction run motor. Try Northern Equipment or Harbor Freight.
Harbor freight has one thats pretty close.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-hp-gene...67839.html
Be sure and check the shaft size.

Thanks
Dara

Grizzly has a few for about $180.00
Thanks all. That helps a bunch.
I wonder if the 1/2 hp harbor freight would do. Price seems ok.
The Leeson would be nice but pretty pricey.
I'm in Canada so I will hunt around here a bit but prices seem way better in US
At least now I know what to look for, Thanks
For The Love Of Wood
I’d get a 1 hp harbor freight motor. The extra HP will help.

I wouldn’t invest too much because if you start enjoying yourself you’ll want to upgrade to a better machine.
Don
A 1/3hp typical furnace motor has a 1/2" shaft, the 1/2hp from HF has a 5/8" shaft. You may need to replace the pulley or have it reamed and re-keyed if possible.
(04-06-2018, 08:15 AM)DFJarvie Wrote: I’d get a 1 hp harbor freight motor. The extra HP will help.

I wouldn’t invest too much because if you start enjoying yourself you’ll want to upgrade to a better machine.

I do enjoy it but don't want to get super involved.
I have a full shop with all the other woodworking tools and really enjoy the flat stuff, Krenov cabinets, jewelry boxes, small furniture.
It is nice to just turn a bowl or 2 between projects.
And I have good sources for turning wood
For The Love Of Wood