Holey Galahad carving disk
Hello all,

I have a lot of rough shaping in my near future as I continue to shape the drawer fronts of my bombe secretary.

Most of the shaping will be done on the inside of the drawers and there is a lot of stock that will need to be removed from there.

Has anyone used a Holey Galahad carbide angle grinding disk?

Any advice?

I'm also not sure which grit to consider getting first.  My goal is to do the rough stock removal with power tools and then to do the final shape with rasps, spokeshaves, etc.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

My "day job"
(04-05-2018, 11:22 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

I have a lot of rough shaping in my near future as I continue to shape the drawer fronts of my bombe secretary.

Most of the shaping will be done on the inside of the drawers and there is a lot of stock that will need to be removed from there.

Has anyone used a Holey Galahad carbide angle grinding disk?

Any advice?

I'm also not sure which grit to consider getting first.  My goal is to do the rough stock removal with power tools and then to do the final shape with rasps, spokeshaves, etc.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi Peter, Like a lot of rocking chair makers, I use a carbide tool on a right angle grinder to carve the seats and for roughing in the shape on other chair transitions.  I think the one I use is a different brand but I think all the carbide-toothed ones are similar.  The first thing to mention is that unlike typical hand tools, these things remove a lot of wood fast.  Second, they produce a lot of dust and chips and I try to do it outside to keep from having dirt and dust all over the shop.  Third, with a little practice they are easily controlled to get the shape you are looking for.  For final clean up, you mentioned some other hand tools but I would suggest you try using a 36 grit sanding disk on the right angle grinder followed by ROS.  This gives a very nice finish much faster than anything you can do with gouges or spokeshaves, etc.  Ken
(04-05-2018, 12:50 PM)Ken Vick Wrote: Hi Peter, Like a lot of rocking chair makers, I use a carbide tool on a right angle grinder to carve the seats and for roughing in the shape on other chair transitions.  I think the one I use is a different brand but I think all the carbide-toothed ones are similar.  The first thing to mention is that unlike typical hand tools, these things remove a lot of wood fast.  Second, they produce a lot of dust and chips and I try to do it outside to keep from having dirt and dust all over the shop.  Third, with a little practice they are easily controlled to get the shape you are looking for.  For final clean up, you mentioned some other hand tools but I would suggest you try using a 36 grit sanding disk on the right angle grinder followed by ROS.  This gives a very nice finish much faster than anything you can do with gouges or spokeshaves, etc.  Ken

Thank you very much, Ken!

What grit would you recommend that I begin with?  Medium?

I'd like for a balance between removing wood not-too-fast and something that is controllable. 

I knew about the dust.  I'm going to be doing this outdoors for sure.

Thanks again,
Peter

My "day job"
(04-05-2018, 01:05 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Thank you very much, Ken!

What grit would you recommend that I begin with?  Medium?

I'd like for a balance between removing wood not-too-fast and something that is controllable. 

I knew about the dust.  I'm going to be doing this outdoors for sure.

Thanks again,

Yep, Peter, I think medium would do just fine.  Ken
Ken's right.  I have one thing to add.

I have the Kutzall disk, which is very similar, except that it doesn't have the holes.  I bought it before I was aware of the Holey Galahad.  I wish I had a chance to try the Galahad instead.  Being able to at least partially view the work surface would be a good help, in my opinion.  As it is, I have to go solely by feel to understand where the cutting surface is making contact with the work piece.

I do view the carbide wheel as more of a rough sculpting tool.  It really gets after it when hogging out chair seats or rough shaping a work piece.  Like Ken, I use mine mostly during the build of "Maloof Style" rocking chairs.  Organic shaping is the strong suit.
(04-06-2018, 04:58 AM)WxMan Wrote: Ken's right.  I have one thing to add.

I have the Kutzall disk, which is very similar, except that it doesn't have the holes.  I bought it before I was aware of the Holey Galahad.  I wish I had a chance to try the Galahad instead.  Being able to at least partially view the work surface would be a good help, in my opinion.  As it is, I have to go solely by feel to understand where the cutting surface is making contact with the work piece.

I do view the carbide wheel as more of a rough sculpting tool.  It really gets after it when hogging out chair seats or rough shaping a work piece.  Like Ken, I use mine mostly during the build of "Maloof Style" rocking chairs.  Organic shaping is the strong suit.

Thank you,

That's helpful information
Peter

My "day job"