Tool Prices
I am thinking of selling my Grizzly G0656X 8" jointer with a Byrd Shelic cutter head and also my Woodmaster 718 with a pro pack and a new spiral cutter head as well. I am the original owner of both but have no idea what I should ask for them as I really haven't followed or bought any used equipment.

I am just looking for some ballpark figures on what I should ask for them

Thanks
(04-05-2018, 02:33 PM)SW_IOWA_SAWYER Wrote: I am thinking of selling my Grizzly G0656X 8" jointer with a Byrd Shelic cutter head and also my Woodmaster 718 with a pro pack and a new spiral cutter head as well. I am the original owner of both but have no idea what I should ask for them as I really haven't followed or bought any used equipment.

Thanks

If I am not buying them ask for 80-90% new,. If I am buying them, then less than 50% new.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

General rule of thumb is start with 50% of what it would cost new and go from there.
I think the older the equipment, the closer to that 50% rule you get to. Newer equipment, in really nice shape, still currently being sold, you could probably go up to 70% or higher. Really depends on the machine, its condition and where you are selling it. Larger cities tend to have more selections, folks out in the boonies, not so much.
Clean it up really well and take excellent photos. If you have a poor camera or poor photo skills, ask for help. A well presented machine will sell faster and for more money than one that is not so well presented.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-06-2018, 07:52 AM)Cooler Wrote: Clean it up really well and take excellent photos. If you have a poor camera or poor photo skills, ask for help. A well presented machine will sell faster and for more money than one that is not so well presented.

Excellent advice!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
The biggest factor is where you are. Here for example prices will start at around 120% of new. Yes more than new. The sellers think they can get more because it's right here and you can take it home today. Now the two items that hold their value the most are air compressors and welders as they always sell at nearly new prices. 

The way I look at tools... If it's priced more than 60% of new I'm not interested unless it comes with a bunch of tooling. Because if it's just a little cheaper I'd prefer to have a new machine. So for me realistically around 50% of new is a good range. Now that means 50% of that that tool sold for new not what it's current equivalent is selling for. Typically the import machines have improved over time so the older it is the less it's worth from a quality standpoint.

The jointer shouldn't be a hard sell. The woodmaster will be a harder sell. Don't get me wrong it's a very capable machine but it looks like a cheap import or home built because of its sheet metal construction. Because of that they tend to be harder to sell and when I do see them on the market they don't usually demand much as in around 20% of new price because it's a pricey machine to start. I know what it's capable of but that's just how it looks to many others. Kind of has that shop smith whiff to it for many potential buyers.
(04-05-2018, 02:33 PM)SW_IOWA_SAWYER Wrote: I am thinking of selling my Grizzly G0656X 8" jointer with a Byrd Shelic cutter head and also my Woodmaster 718 with a pro pack and a new spiral cutter head as well. I am the original owner of both but have no idea what I should ask for them as I really haven't followed or bought any used equipment.

Thanks

I have the G0452Z that the VA bought me and now wish we had the 8".  I know someone will buy it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I don't want to get political, but there is a reality facing us.  If the current volleys continue in the trade war, tool prices will rise.  Thus, used tools in good shape will also rise in price.  That may happen as quickly as a couple of months.  Personally, I would wait that long to see what happens.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(04-07-2018, 07:29 AM)Cecil Wrote: I don't want to get political, but there is a reality facing us.  If the current volleys continue in the trade war, tool prices will rise.  Thus, used tools in good shape will also rise in price.  That may happen as quickly as a couple of months.  Personally, I would wait that long to see what happens.

Not only tools actually made in China, as nowadays supply chains for any number of things made in the US run through China, and qualifying - then contracting with - a substitute vendor not subject to these tariffs can sometime take months; we are working through all the combinations and permutations at my company right now.  Tariffs are tricky things, lots of unintended consequences can present themselves.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis