Finish wear on table edge - can this be repaired?
Hi All - next to my den recliner is a table w/ a pull-out - probably 30+ years old (see first pic below) - on the left edge, the finish has worn away and not sure why?  I've kept a laptop(s) there for years but carefully lift the device - in an inconspicuous spot I've tested w/ alcohol & also lacquer thinner,  neither dissolves the finish, so I'm assuming that this was likely a spray-on poly of some type - see second pic for a close-up.

Looks like a veneer that has loss the color & pattern + the top coat(s) - any suggestions on how I may restore this area to at least be less noticeable and more protective?  Thanks for any suggestions.  Dave 
Smile

[Image: TTop1.jpg]

[Image: TTop2.jpg]
Piedmont North Carolina
Is it particle board? If so, that might be a paper vernier and not really refinishable. Looks like it delaminated at the edges. Might try a little clear poly on a spot and see if it brings some color back.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-06-2018, 07:04 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Is it particle board? If so, that might be a paper vernier and not really refinishable. Looks like it delaminated at the edges. Might try a little clear poly on a spot and see if it brings some color back.

Thanks for the response - looked underneath the table and appears to be a particle board product, so just a thin veneer on top - just completed a cabinet project and have some mixed unwaxed blonde & garnet shellac in jars - might start w/ that and maybe some 'glazing' (have rarely done so an amateur), then use an artist's brush and apply some poly - doubt I'll get a great match but should look a little better.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina