Jointer knife setting jig recommendations?
Personally, I use and like the pencil method, but Bob is looking to burn some extra cash, I guess.

Anyway, what jointer setting jig do you guys use and recommend? There are lots available on eBay and elsewhere that are under $25 but I have no idea if they are consistent or worth a darn so I don't feel comfortable suggesting one to him.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
12" starrett  steel rule pulled out of a combination square.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKgFSEtSxc
(04-07-2018, 05:05 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: 12" starrett  steel rule pulled out of a combination square.
Winkgrin

Pretty much this ^^^.

I have a jointer pal jig.  I don't think I've seen it in four years, because I haven't even looked for it.  I've set the knives on my jointer at least twice in that time.  Never even occurred to me to look for it when I put fresh blades in the machine last month.
(04-07-2018, 04:37 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Personally, I use and like the pencil method, but Bob is looking to burn some extra cash, I guess.

Anyway, what jointer setting jig do you guys use and recommend? There are lots available on eBay and elsewhere that are under $25 but I have no idea if they are consistent or worth a darn so I don't feel comfortable suggesting one to him.

Low tech. I take a straight stick about a foot long and make two marks about 1/8" apart a couple inches from one end. Align the left mark with the edge of the outfeed table not resting on a knife. Rotate the cutterhead until the knife moves the stick to the second mark. It the stick doesn't move far enough raise the knife a smidge, if the stick moves too far lower the knife a smidge. Repeat with both ends of each knife. It surprised me how little vertical knife movement it takes to change the stick movement. The nice thing about this method is that I don't have to worry about where top dead center of the cutterhead is.
(04-08-2018, 10:38 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: Low tech. I take a straight stick about a foot long and make two marks about 1/8" apart a couple inches from one end. Align the left mark with the edge of the outfeed table not resting on a knife. Rotate the cutterhead until the knife moves the stick to the second mark. It the stick doesn't move far enough raise the knife a smidge, if the stick moves too far lower the knife a smidge. Repeat with both ends of each knife. It surprised me how little vertical knife movement it takes to change the stick movement. The nice thing about this method is that I don't have to worry about where top dead center of the cutterhead is.

I started to change my knives about a month ago... I was just getting started.  Looked up the cost of new knives, looked up the cost of a jointer pal, started watching youtube video's.... said, the heck with it and called Brian to order a Byrd... 

best idea ever.
Yeah, that's the pencil method pretty much. That's what I use and am sticking with it until I feel the need for a Byrd shelix .

Again, he wants a jig...
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(04-08-2018, 10:56 AM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Yeah, that's the pencil method pretty much. That's what I use and am sticking with it until I feel the need for a Byrd shelix .

Again, he wants a jig...

Dial indicator, with magnetic base.
Very handy tool for setting up many machines.
Google -------bob vaughn setting jointer knives
Excellent video on Knife setting!
Gordon
Appears way too quiet in here... what happened to JGrout?
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(04-08-2018, 08:37 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Appears way too quiet in here... what happened to JGrout?

Seems to have evaporated.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020