Jointer knife setting jig recommendations?
Personally, I use and like the pencil method, but Bob is looking to burn some extra cash, I guess.

Anyway, what jointer setting jig do you guys use and recommend? There are lots available on eBay and elsewhere that are under $25 but I have no idea if they are consistent or worth a darn so I don't feel comfortable suggesting one to him.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
12" starrett  steel rule pulled out of a combination square.
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKgFSEtSxc
(04-07-2018, 05:05 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: 12" starrett  steel rule pulled out of a combination square.
Winkgrin

Pretty much this ^^^.

I have a jointer pal jig.  I don't think I've seen it in four years, because I haven't even looked for it.  I've set the knives on my jointer at least twice in that time.  Never even occurred to me to look for it when I put fresh blades in the machine last month.
(04-07-2018, 04:37 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Personally, I use and like the pencil method, but Bob is looking to burn some extra cash, I guess.

Anyway, what jointer setting jig do you guys use and recommend? There are lots available on eBay and elsewhere that are under $25 but I have no idea if they are consistent or worth a darn so I don't feel comfortable suggesting one to him.

Low tech. I take a straight stick about a foot long and make two marks about 1/8" apart a couple inches from one end. Align the left mark with the edge of the outfeed table not resting on a knife. Rotate the cutterhead until the knife moves the stick to the second mark. It the stick doesn't move far enough raise the knife a smidge, if the stick moves too far lower the knife a smidge. Repeat with both ends of each knife. It surprised me how little vertical knife movement it takes to change the stick movement. The nice thing about this method is that I don't have to worry about where top dead center of the cutterhead is.
(04-08-2018, 10:38 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: Low tech. I take a straight stick about a foot long and make two marks about 1/8" apart a couple inches from one end. Align the left mark with the edge of the outfeed table not resting on a knife. Rotate the cutterhead until the knife moves the stick to the second mark. It the stick doesn't move far enough raise the knife a smidge, if the stick moves too far lower the knife a smidge. Repeat with both ends of each knife. It surprised me how little vertical knife movement it takes to change the stick movement. The nice thing about this method is that I don't have to worry about where top dead center of the cutterhead is.

I started to change my knives about a month ago... I was just getting started.  Looked up the cost of new knives, looked up the cost of a jointer pal, started watching youtube video's.... said, the heck with it and called Brian to order a Byrd... 

best idea ever.
Yeah, that's the pencil method pretty much. That's what I use and am sticking with it until I feel the need for a Byrd shelix .

Again, he wants a jig...
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(04-08-2018, 10:56 AM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Yeah, that's the pencil method pretty much. That's what I use and am sticking with it until I feel the need for a Byrd shelix .

Again, he wants a jig...

Dial indicator, with magnetic base.
Very handy tool for setting up many machines.
Google -------bob vaughn setting jointer knives
Excellent video on Knife setting!
Gordon
Appears way too quiet in here... what happened to JGrout?
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(04-08-2018, 08:37 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: Appears way too quiet in here... what happened to JGrout?

Seems to have evaporated.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020