r/ orbital sander vac. advice
(04-09-2018, 10:05 AM)CurlyVermontMaple Wrote:  R/ orbital sanders
What do you mean by "R/"?
I use the big dust collector for this at the bench. For a lot of sanding, I have a small room I added to the shop and put the room in a negative pressure using a 2k cfm blower. I use a cheap filter to reduce dust going outside. I can keep the doorway open for supply air from the shop- this keeps the shop dust free. If you're in a residential area, I can see this might be a problem.

For other work, I use the hepa filtered (And pre-filter) rigid shop vac which does a good job- noisy but good.
(04-10-2018, 08:18 AM)Alan S Wrote: What do you mean by "R/"?

I took it as "Referencing- orbital sander vacuum advice".  
Raised
Here's a pretty factual article comparing those vacs head to head. Factual meaning he actually did some data driven comparisons.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-10-2018, 09:51 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Here's a pretty factual article comparing those vacs head to head. Factual meaning he actually did some data driven comparisons.

I'm amazed 20 lbs of drywall dust didn't completely block the filters.  2lbs will near clog my shop vac in a heartbeat.
(04-10-2018, 09:51 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Here's a pretty factual article comparing those vacs head to head. Factual meaning he actually did some data driven comparisons.
(04-10-2018, 01:54 PM)daddo Wrote:  I'm amazed 20 lbs of drywall dust didn't completely block the filters.  2lbs will near clog my shop vac in a heartbeat.

For my router table, sanders (Festool mainly), & miter saw, I've used the combination shown below (i.e. an old Fein model w/ a 1 micron filter + a mini-cyclone) - read the article linked above and was rather disappointed in Fein's performance - now I have other dust collectors for my larger power tools, so my interest is for the 'smaller' machines.

Thus, should I consider a new 'portable' dust collection system to replace the one below?  Festool would be at the top of my list - now as seen in the second pic, a number of models are offered - my interest would be in the smaller dust collectors for my purpose - does anyone own one of these models?  If so, thoughts, comments, recommendations, etc.  Thanks - Dave
Smile

[Image: Fein_Cyclone.png]
[Image: Festool_Dust.png]
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-10-2018, 05:22 PM)giradman Wrote: For my router table, sanders (Festool mainly), & miter saw, I've used the combination shown below (i.e. an old Fein model w/ a 1 micron filter + a mini-cyclone) - read the article linked above and was rather disappointed in Fein's performance - now I have other dust collectors for my larger power tools, so my interest is for the 'smaller' machines.
If your Fein is doing the job for you, why be disappointed in what the review says? I have that model and use it for my sanders (not Festool) and find that it captures probably 99% of the dust. I don't use a pre seperator on it, but it has a bag in it to keep some of the dust away from the filter.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Thanks for the info. Fred, good comparison I'll see how much I want to spend.
Designed by Ray Charles... Built by Stevie Wonder...
(04-11-2018, 05:38 AM)fredhargis Wrote: If your Fein is doing the job for you, why be disappointed in what the review says? I have that model and use it for my sanders (not Festool) and find that it captures probably 99% of the dust. I don't use a pre seperator on it, but it has a bag in it to keep some of the dust away from the filter.

Thanks for your comments - the Fein vac has been doing its job for 20+ years - the Festool Midi Dust Extractor is $600 - maybe that $$ is better invested elsewhere? 
Big Grin   Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-08-2018, 05:35 PM)BobW Wrote: I just set up a DC system for my sanders and other hand power tools using a Fein Turbo I coupled to an Oneida Dust Deputy (both successful entries on my 2017 Christmas wish list).  It works very well...not HEPA, but very little dust gets past the DD into the vacuum.  Not sure how the Fein vac compares to the DW vac, but it's about $150 less.  I think you can add a HEPA filter to the Fein for around 100 bux.

I have had a similar setup for several years now and have been very satisfied with it.   I did replace the filter in my Turbo II with a Rigid HEPA shop vac filter from Home Depot, but the Oneida Dust Deputy keeps the filter pretty clean.   I've used it with my track saw, Dewalt sanders, Bosch sanders and Festool sanders with equal satisfaction.  Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the setup to anyone.  Doesn't have the high end appeal of the Festool system, but it works great and I paid significantly less for it getting things on sale.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker