If Poplar Is The Poor Man's Walnut...
Question 
Then what is your schedule to achieve a walnut look on poplar?
(04-08-2018, 12:20 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Then what is your schedule to achieve a walnut look on poplar?

Well, how about forget it and buy some real walnut?  
Smile  Dave 

P.S. I'm sure that some of our finishing experts will post w/ suggestions - good luck!
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-08-2018, 12:20 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Then what is your schedule to achieve a walnut look on poplar?

A pro that did our offices stained miles of poplar with common oil based walnut stain, followed by brush on poly.  It didn't look as good as genuine walnut but it fooled most folks.  I have no clue how he avoided blotching; I never saw him do anything to pre-condition the wood, etc.

If I were going to try it, I think I'd spray it with dye to get the lightest undertone color of the walnut I was trying to simulate, then a sealer, then wipe on a glaze using gel stain to get the final color, then another coat of sealer, and finally the finish coats.  More work than the pro I mentioned above, but it would avoid blotching and give more depth.   

John
The grain is different and poplar lacks the pores that walnut has so it ends up looking like poplar trying to imitate walnut.

What I have tried in the past that worked ok was to use a water based dye such as Vandyke flakes (made from walnut husks), then seal with clear shellac, then glaze with a walnut gel stain, then top coat.
OP here.
Thanks folks.

I was in Woodcraft yesterday looking for a little bit of S2S or S4S walnut but no go.
And the dye stain I wanted was out of stock too.
Think I will look at LV and see what they have as shipping is free this week.

This piano bench seat is cheap junk with aprons made from partical board and clamped to the legs.
So my approch is to replace the aprons with wood and M&T.
Using poplar and keeping the cost down.
A project for a friend.
I really like poplar once it has sat in the sun long enough to turn gold.  Doesn't take long.  The trick is to find a day in central Pennsylvania where it isn't going to get rained on. I have always assumed that was a good first step in any finishing process for it, I feel like the green is going to tint anything on top of it. 

Then again, I am drowning in walnut, I would never use anything other than walnut to look like walnut.
(04-10-2018, 06:59 AM)AgGEM Wrote: I was in Woodcraft yesterday looking for a little bit of S2S or S4S walnut but no go.
And the dye stain I wanted was out of stock too.
Think I will look at LV and see what they have as shipping is free this week.

This piano bench seat is cheap junk with aprons made from partical board and clamped to the legs.
So my approch is to replace the aprons with wood and M&T.
Using poplar and keeping the cost down.......A project for a friend.

Well, those online stores, e.g. Rockler & Woodcraft among others usually overcharge for their wood products, especially the more desirable hardwoods - as an example, look at the Rockler walnut offerings below - the 4' piece of walnut is under 2 BF for $30!  For my projects, I usually order 20 BF bundles from Wall Lumber - the second pic shows their prices; as circled the walnut is about 50% more than poplar (but a bargain compared to Rockler) - at Rockler one would have to pay well over $300 for 20 BF.  SO, if walnut is still a consideration, you might want to find a local specialty lumber place in your area or nearby - my Wall Lumber purchases (for that size bundle) are shipped to my door step.

Not sure if you are buying the wood for your friend, but assume this will be a pro bono project?  But, if your friend is 'helping' w/ the expenses, then he or she might want to offer an opinion as to the wood used - you likely could find some walnut for a LOT less than you saw at Woodcraft - some lumber yards might let you go through their cutoff pile?  However, if you still decide on using poplar, then plan a variety of finishing schedules, as already suggested, and commit to one only after testing multiple samples on the poplar purchased for the job.  Good luck - Dave
Smile

[Image: Walnut1.png]
[Image: Walnut2.png]
Piedmont North Carolina
I was at a Shake Shack the other day.  They paneled the walls in what looked like American walnut flooring boards.

Looks like they clear-coated it with a water-based something, it is fading pretty fast (the place has only been open about six months).

Pretty soon it will look like slightly darker poplar.
Have you checked craigslist for walnut lumber? I just checked Central NJ's Craig's list and found walnut at under $5 a bft which is what I pay around here.
(04-10-2018, 01:28 PM)Scoony Wrote: Have you checked craigslist for walnut lumber?     I just checked Central NJ's Craig's list and found walnut at under $5 a bft which is what I pay around here.

No, I have not.
But that is a great idea!
Will do!

Closest hardwood supplier (Willard Bros) is a 2.5 hour round trip including happy dwell time at the yard.
I love to go there, but not for just a few feet of timber.