Using the Incra I-Box
I've had the I-Box for over a year.  It has sat on my other table saw, assembled, but not used.  I finally used it today.  Once you learn the "dance"  and get it calibrated, it works well.
I have a Freud dado set.  IT has seen little use as well.  It is not the box joint set.  Mine is just a standard dado set with chippers.  I was making ~3/16" box joints in walnut.  I got alot of tear out at the base of the fingers (bottom of the groove).  Is that because of my dado set is not ground for the type of cuts I was doing?  Or is it just a characteristic of the walnut?  The walnut is very old and dry.  It was about 9/16" thick.

Thanks for your help.

RP
The I box comes with a 1/4 MDF backer board to use as a zero clearance insert.  Was that set up as zero clearance, or did you drop your saw blade after you made a test cut or two, leaving a gap between the base of the finger and the near zero clearance insert?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I have the ibox as well.
Did you watch the dvd that came with the set?
One thing that makes a big difference is clamping the workpiece tight to the fence each and every time so there is no movement as you pass over the blade, and a smooth slow pass.  Go too fast you are assured tearout.

I have had pretty good luck, but it takes practice.  I usually review the dvd if it's been a while between uses, and run some practice passes on scraps before getting down to business.

HTH

Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
The inventor posts here, or did. "Alan in Washington" or such.
I don't think I have seen him post in a while.
Hope he is well.
(04-09-2018, 08:13 PM)Cecil Wrote: The I box comes with a 1/4 MDF backer board to use as a zero clearance insert.  Was that set up as zero clearance, or did you drop your saw blade after you made a test cut or two, leaving a gap between the base of the finger and the near zero clearance insert?

The 1/4" backerboard was in place and it was the first cut with it at that blade height.  I admit I didn't use a clamp.  I held it tight against the fence and I had the front blade guard tight against the work piece.
Try the exact same procedure with some maple or cherry and see if you reproduce the chip-out. Even some poplar.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(04-10-2018, 07:21 AM)RPE1 Wrote: The 1/4" backerboard was in place and it was the first cut with it at that blade height.  I admit I didn't use a clamp.  I held it tight against the fence and I had the front blade guard tight against the work piece.

I bought a small cabinet makers clamp just for this use... it makes a big difference. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Thanks for posting this. I have an Ibox as well, but it has yet to be used.
Good information here!!  

( as usual )

Smile
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Ibox notwithstanding, I typically use a marking gauge to score the back side of the part I am making the box joints in. 

With a good backer, there should be no tear out, but usually, the backer becomes worn quickly. A score across the back at the height of the finger causes the fibers to break there rather than higher. This technique even works with plywood.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.