Blank Prep Process Question
Arlin posted this link in my last posting whch contains 20 chapters some of which not so revelint to wood turners and contains nice to know information. Yes, this handbook is gear to lumber community but can help with our own processing wood for turning plan. Yes can be very technical but if stick to the basics of how wood drys without getting get wrapped up in too technical stuff.

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publi...eader_id=p

Chap 3 nice to know info on structure & function of wood.

Chap 4 Again nice to know info. Moisture relations & physical properties of wood.

Chap 13 lots of good information; Drying & control of moisture content.
Especially Fig 13-1. Recommended average MC for interior use of wood products in various areas of US, Table 13-2 Recommended MC values for various wood products at time of intallation both on page 5-20 of chapter 13.

Chap 14: Biodeterioration of wood; especially Fig 14-1. climate index for decay hazard. Important to me because live in part of the country with 80% decay hazard spelled out in the text.

Chap 16: Finishing Wood. Lot of nice to know information but especially interest is Table 16-3. Moisture-excluding effectiveness of various finishes on podderosa pine. While lot of nice to know info but what interest me is at bottom of table and see paraffin Wax brushed or dipped. This can answer the question why the wood I buy to turn is dipped in wax or why end seal in wax. Most of us already know blanks completely dipped in wax will not let moisture in or out.
Bill