track saw dilema
I wonder how many recommendations to "build a guide and use a Skilsaw" come from people who have never used an actual track saw? Plunge cut, riving knife, no need to clamp because of the rubber bottom on the track, accuracy, dust collection, no big kick when you start it.....there is little comparison to a homemade guide (which I have made and used plenty of) and an actual track saw.
In the $500 range Makita is the best value since it comes with a useable blade, track and container. Shop Fox or Wen start under $200 but the track is separate and you need to upgrade the blade and do some simple mods that you can find on youtube. I have the Shop Fox with two tracks and it works great.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
(04-15-2018, 12:02 PM)Richard D. Wrote: I wonder how many recommendations to "build a guide and use a Skilsaw" come from people who have never used an actual track saw? Plunge cut, riving knife, no need to clamp because of the rubber bottom on the track, accuracy, dust collection, no big kick when you start it.....there is little comparison to a homemade guide (which I have made and used plenty of) and an actual track saw.
In the $500 range Makita is the best value since it comes with a useable blade, track and container. Shop Fox or Wen start under $200 but the track is separate and you need to upgrade the blade and do some simple mods that you can find on youtube. I have the Shop Fox with two tracks and it works great.

After reading all of this, how about the Triton on ebay for 350?
Confused
(04-15-2018, 12:02 PM)Richard D. Wrote: I wonder how many recommendations to "build a guide and use a Skilsaw" come from people who have never used an actual track saw? Plunge cut, riving knife, no need to clamp because of the rubber bottom on the track, accuracy, dust collection, no big kick when you start it.....there is little comparison to a homemade guide (which I have made and used plenty of) and an actual track saw.
Count me in that group. I used the Festool in a professional capacity long before it was commonly available at Woodcraft. It is a fantastic saw, and for the professional, well worth the money. For the average hobbyist who might need to use it once in a blue moon, it is a LOT of money that could be spent elsewhere. 

Building your own tools has it’s own appeal to many of us as well. 

And finally, my shop-built track saw design includes an adjustable sled to guide my router to cut along the track edge with any diameter bit. Even Festool does not have that.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I really appreciate all the input folks. Thanks!

Based on a tip here, I checked out Home Depot and found the cordless saw for $400. It did not come with a track though. The 55in track would be an extra $75. As I'm standing there looking and continuing to struggle with my decision, a trim router caught my eye. That got me thinking about how I've wanted one for years now. The whole motivation behind this track saw business was that I was gong to need it for a big cabinet job. However the prospective client was a bit shocked at my estimate and that job will likely not happen. The truth of the matter is that I don't really "need" a track saw. Sometimes a great sale can really cloud your judgment.

There were lots of good points here and I am fully on board wit the idea that a shop guide can do the job fine for many but it is not the equivalent of a dedicated, manufactured tool like a festool or Makita.

After coming to terms that I'm not going to get a track saw this time around, I went back to my ongoing wish/needs list and will be getting a trim router and a cordless circular saw. These are both tools that will see much more use than a track saw. The Bosch saw I'm looking actually has a grove in the base for use with their track system. Bosch also has a nice track saw but for some reason it's not available in the US. I found it on ebay but the shipping from Germany is prohibitive.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(04-17-2018, 10:21 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: I really appreciate all the input folks. Thanks!

Based on a tip here, I checked out Home Depot and found the cordless saw for $400. It did not come with a track though. The 55in track would be an extra $75. As I'm standing there looking and continuing to struggle with my decision, a trim router caught my eye. That got me thinking about how I've wanted one for years now. The whole motivation behind this track saw business was that I was gong to need it for a big cabinet job. However the prospective client was a bit shocked at my estimate and that job will likely not happen. The truth of the matter is that I don't really "need" a track saw. Sometimes a great sale can really cloud your judgment.

There were lots of good points here and I am fully on board wit the idea that a shop guide can do the job fine for many but it is not the equivalent of a dedicated, manufactured tool like a festool or Makita.

After coming to terms that I'm not going to get a track saw this time around, I went back to my ongoing wish/needs list and will be getting a trim router and a cordless circular saw. These are both tools that will see much more use than a track saw. The Bosch saw I'm looking actually has a grove in the base for use with their track system. Bosch also has a nice track saw but for some reason it's not available in the US. I found it on ebay but the shipping from Germany is prohibitive.

That Bosch saw will be available this year in the US, Here is the thread where i picked that up: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/260217
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks Fred, looks like the release is just around the corner in May. I wonder if they will have a big sale for it's US release?

(04-17-2018, 11:29 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: Thanks Fred, looks like the release is just around the corner in May. I wonder if they will have a big sale for it's US release?

We can always hope!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would be happy with just the Bosch track. I know the track saws have some nice features like plunging and dust collection but I'd be satisfied with their $120 cordless saw and the track.

Eurekazone track and use your own saw. I have this system and has served me well.

http://www.eurekazone.com/
Thanks fall. I've never heard of Eurekazone. They have some nice looking stuff.