track saw dilema
(04-10-2018, 02:53 PM)jteneyck Wrote: ...The only advantage I see in a tracksaw is the clamp free feature of the guide rail and dust collection...

You simply haven't looked hard enough. How about the ability to plunge cut anywhere along the track? And the added safety of a fully enclosed blade?
Wood is good. 
(04-10-2018, 05:24 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: You simply haven't looked hard enough. How about the ability to plunge cut anywhere along the track? And the added safety of a fully enclosed blade?

You can plunge cut with a circular saw anywhere along the guide.  It's really not much different.  

John
Another option if you are running tight on funds, another track saw option is the Grizzzly/Shop Fox/Scheppach/Wen track saw. All are the same saw, just different colors. I am sure they are not the same quality level as the Makita, DeWalt, or Festool, but fits in many more budgets like in my hobbyist budget. And a quick search on YouTube shows  people making some simple tweaks to these saws to improve usability and dust collection.

I have done fine for 35+ years with a good straight shop-made guide and a good circular saw and GOOD blade, and with my current setup I can split my pencil marks and make build ready cuts. However I just picked up my new Wen track saw yesterday, and the biggest part of the decision was for the dust collection. When I use my CS and guide outside, it does not matter how must saw dust is made, the leaf blower takes care of the mess. But on a rainy day or in winter time, I can't work in the shop without covering everything with sawdust. Have not even had the time to set it up and test it out, that will be a weekend project and hopefully THIS weekend...

I was able to get into the whole setup for the $400 MrSkittle has budgeted. $171 out the door for the saw kit, then another order for a Freud blade, two 55" Shop Fox tracks, track connectors, and the DeWalt track quick clamps.

The Wen saw also comes with two 27.5" tracks, good for shorter jobs, and track joiners to make one 55" track, the others are for the saw only. I plan to add a 90° cleat to one of these tracks for quick square cross cuts.
Wen Track Saw @ Home Depot   (also available at Amazon and Walmart online)

Shop Fox 55" tracks    Freud Blade    DeWalt clamps

Mike
* standard disclaimer, not receiving anything from any company listed, just passing along what I recently ordered...
(04-10-2018, 09:36 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: Why the hell do these things cost so much anyway?

Because people will pay it.  That being said I am in the camp that they are so much nicer than any home made solution.  The track has strips of rubber under them so you don't have to clamp it down.  Lay it down on the board and go to town.  I have no regrets buying a track saw and neither does a friend that bought one after using mine.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I have looked at some of the discount saws. I've also seen some of the hacks to get the Grizzly (etc) working better. Menards has a Masterforce brand one could be bought for under $200. It's kind of a mini one that can only cut about an inch deep. Beyond that, I wasn't able to find many opinions on it.

jlanciani has a good point to consider. Would I really need the wireless model? The corded version is $100 less. On the other, I have needed a cordless circular saw for years now. I can imagine the track saw getting used without the track for some applications.

If I was looking at a Bosch saw the decision would be much easier because I already have some cordless Bosch tools that I could swap batteries with. I don't have any Makita tools but wouldn't be opposed to getting some going forward since I can save by buying bare tools if I've already got batteries and a charger.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
I wouldn't buy the cordless one. But if you need that functionality, then you've answered your own question.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-13-2018, 01:30 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I have looked at some of the discount saws. I've also seen some of the hacks to get the Grizzly (etc) working better. Menards has a Masterforce brand one could be bought for under $200. It's kind of a mini one that can only cut about an inch deep. Beyond that, I wasn't able to find many opinions on it.

jlanciani has a good point to consider. Would I really need the wireless model? The corded version is $100 less. On the other, I have needed a cordless circular saw for years now. I can imagine the track saw getting used without the track for some applications.

If I was looking at a Bosch saw the decision would be much easier because I already have some cordless Bosch tools that I could swap batteries with. I don't have any Makita tools but wouldn't be opposed to getting some going forward since I can save by buying bare tools if I've already got batteries and a charger.

Why would you need a cordless track saw?  FWIW, I have a Milwaukee cordless circular saw that I use on outdoor construction projects and to break down sheets of plywood in my garage, the later use only because I'm too lazy to get out an extension cord and drag my corded saw upstairs.  Anyway, I would guess the cordless saw can cut about 50 - 75 feet of 3/4" plywood on a charge, and that's with a 3 ah battery, and it's relatively easy to bog down.  My corded saw runs all day and has at least twice the power.  At $100 less for the corded version it would be a no brainer IF I actually needed a track saw at all.  

John
I have the cordless makita. absolutely love it. Right now at home depot in store only its $400, and you still get the 2 extra 5ah batteries and the 55" rail. So 4 batteries total. I paid $500 back in November for the makita and i still think it's worth that. It's amazing how great it is for me anyway to break down sheets in the driveway instead of trying to flip them awkwardly in my garage with 7' ceilings. At $400 with 2 free batteries, now is the time. The only thing I'd add is plan to use a dust bag if you want to be totally cordless, without a dust bag it really shoots the dust out.

Oh and psa for others. The makita track saw is down to $400 at home depot. But also makitas 36v cordless miter saw is now $400, circular saw is $250 and reciprocating saw is $250 and you get the 2 extra batteries with each tool provided you checkout separate I've heard. So 4 batteries per tool.
One factor with Makita (and other) tracksaws that no one has mentioned. Most come with enough track to cut 4'. Check the cost for enough additional track to cut 8'. Maybe that aluminum extrusion has some platinum alloyed in or something. A 'sidewinder' where the base can be adjusted parallel to the blade and equipped with a good quality blade used with a straight guide can produce a pretty good quality cut. If the base is pointing one way and the blade another the cut quality is going to suffer, and for the same reason a table saw with a cocked fence isn't going to produce a smooth cut.
Kreg offers a track system for "any" existing circular saw.
Around $90 at Home Depot.