220v Receptacle Question
My shop is currently wired for all 110.  I want to convert my big tools to 220v.  This will include future dust collector, planer, bandsaw... I don't see myself getting larger than 3hp... 

My question though is what type of Receptacle's do I need to install.  Is there a way to answer this in a non complicated way?  What is the best choice for most situations?

Ok to just install Nema 6-20r?
(04-10-2018, 10:11 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: My shop is currently wired for all 110.  I want to convert my big tools to 220v.  This will include future dust collector, planer, bandsaw... I don't see myself getting larger than 3hp... 

My question though is what type of Receptacle's do I need to install.  Is there a way to answer this in a non complicated way?  What is the best choice for most situations?

That is what I use for most of my 220 tools.  I'd prefer to be able to quickly pull the cord in most cases unlike some large twist lock plug.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(04-10-2018, 10:11 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: My shop is currently wired for all 110.  I want to convert my big tools to 220v.  This will include future dust collector, planer, bandsaw... I don't see myself getting larger than 3hp... 

That should do it.    Remember it should be on a 20a circuit not a 15a .    Also if any tools also have a 120v load (lights etc) it should have a neutral in addition to the ground.  (different plug and receptacle )  Roly
(04-10-2018, 10:11 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: My question though is what type of Receptacle's do I need to install.  Is there a way to answer this in a non complicated way?  What is the best choice for most situations?

NEMA 6-20R.  Singles, or even duplexes.  You can put them in the same quad box as a 5-15/20R duplex if you like, or in their own box(es).  Just watch the box fill.  And put it/them on its/their own circuit(s), to keep it non-complicated.

Keeping it simple.
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
You are in luck. I put a lot of 6-20 receptacles in my shop. To save money I bought a box of 100 of them for about 60¢ ea, versus the box store price of about $5. After I was done with my needs I sold some here for what I paid and gave most of the rest to the Habitat Restore. Even so I still have a handful left and can give you several for the cost of postage. So if you want some send me a PM with an address and how many you plan to install. Now, postage could be $5+ for a small flat rate box so if it's only 1 or 2, you might be just as well off getting them at the box store. Your call, let me know.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I went with the twist lock plug, the cord is long and heavy and I didn't want it pulling out of the wall.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
I use a standard single use 220V outlet.

I mount the outlet boxes directly to the machine cabinet and attach the wiring to the duct work.

I like this because 1) I can unplug the machine right there and 2) eliminates need for cords and expensive twist plugs.
Thank you fred for that offer. For now only 2 receptacles, so I will save you the trouble.

Thanks men.