Delta B.O.S.S. spindle removal
I need to remove the spindle from a Delta SA350 oscillating spindle sander to replace the dust chute.

I have tried WD40, PB Blaster, heat gun and a propane torch. All to no avail.

I know they are left hand threads.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
5 minutes after I posted a request for help I was able to remove the spindle.

A couple hours ago I tried some brake fluid (an idea from a youtube video on how to remove a bolt installed with Loctite). Whether that is what finally broke down whatever was holding the spindle so securely or just my continual nudging with a large wrench I don't know.

Just about 24 hours to remove the spindle. I not good with patience
Smile

Bill
Photos were not working when I posted the original message so I thought I would add a picture of what I was working on.

The spindle needed to be removed to replace a broken dust chute assembly.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-17-2018, 01:10 PM)wjt Wrote: Photos were not working when I posted the original message so I thought I would add a picture of what I was working on.

The spindle needed to be removed to replace a broken dust chute assembly.

Bill

Glad you were able to get it done. Looks like one of those "pesky" jobs that can take longer than you think. I have one of these and so far so good, no problems. 

Doug
(04-17-2018, 10:53 PM)Tapper Wrote: Glad you were able to get it done. Looks like one of those "pesky" jobs that can take longer than you think. I have one of these and so far so good, no problems. 

Doug

I have one too. The biggest weakness from what I've read is a plastic gear that drives the oscillating mechanism. One of those machines that I need infrequently but when I need one there's not a good substitute.
This is the only video I could find regarding repair of this oscillating spindle sander.
It details the steps to replace the nylon gear referenced by Kurt18947.

He skips over the part about removing the base other than to say it is easier if you do. Four screws hold the base to the cast iron top. You also need to remove the on/off switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vKGZDscbUU

When I was taking mine apart to replace the dust chute I had to use a heat gun to break down the adhesive they had used on the screws holding the arms to the eccentrics.

Bill