Aromatic Cedar Odor
What can I use to finish some small decorative pieces made out of aromatic cedar that will bring out the color and grain and not seal in the smell at all?
(04-11-2018, 06:18 PM)JKimel Wrote: What can I use to finish some small decorative pieces made out of aromatic cedar that will bring out the color and grain and not seal in the smell at all?

Well, I'm sure that you will receive a lot of varied responses - finishes that protect the surface will also seal the wood preventing the aroma of the aromatic cedar (e.g. shellac, lacquer, polys, and other varnishes) - oils such as BLO or pure tung oil will add some color and bring out the grain - offer little protection, but will probably allow some of the smell of the cedar you desire (suggest some testing on scraps from the project) - finally, on the handful of projects that I've used cedar (blanket chest, shoe storage cabinet, etc.), I've left the cedar unfinished, the best way to appreciate the aroma - if after time, that smell disappears, then simply sand the wood.  Just my thoughts and will be interested to hear from others who have worked w/ this wood more than me.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
What you have done. Leave un finished is what my original plan was. Thanks for the input. I've never worked with cedar before. Very cool!