Delta Scroll Saw (Model 40-650) - Start Delay?
Hi Guys & Gals - I've owned the Delta scroll saw shown below (believe known as the Q3) since May 1995 - Model is 40-650 - seems to have been several versions and my manual does not mentioned a Type 2, so assume the first one.  After many years, I'm re-looking at my basement shop - giving a lot of tools away to Habitat, downgrading some, and deciding what to keep and/or upgrade.

The scroll saw is used rarely but is quite good IMO - one annoying feature is that when the start button is hit, there is a 2-3 second delay before the blade moves - I've google this in the past and seems to be a feature - not sure if this is unique to Delta's first version of this saw and whether their 'Type-2' version made a difference?  SO, would appreciate any comments from those who may own this saw.  This cost me $500 20+ years ago - thus would rather just keep rather than replacing - thanks.  Dave
Smile
[Image: Delta40-650.jpg]
Piedmont North Carolina
I don't know much about the Q3.  I used one once, several years ago, but don't recall if it had a delayed start.  My suggestion would be to connect it to a deadman footswitch.  I don't know of that will solve your problem, but the footswitch is a great addition to a scroll saw, in any case.

Here are a couple scroll saw specific websites where you may get a more complete answer.

This is Rick Hutcheson's website.  He's a known authority on scroll saws and you may be able to contact him.  He has a phone # on his website.  I have no idea if it's current or not.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/

Here are links to a couple scroll saw forums that also may be able to answer your question;

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/
http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I have an earlier heavy duty version which has a slight delay when starting up. This is normal. Shown in left of photo.

[Image: shop-2.jpg]
Wood is good. 
(04-12-2018, 07:18 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I don't know much about the Q3.  I used one once, several years ago, but don't recall if it had a delayed start.  My suggestion would be to connect it to a deadman footswitch.  I don't know of that will solve your problem, but the footswitch is a great addition to a scroll saw, in any case.

Here are a couple scroll saw specific websites where you may get a more complete answer.

This is Rick Hutcheson's website.  He's a known authority on scroll saws and you may be able to contact him.  He has a phone # on his website.  I have no idea if it's current or not.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/

Here are links to a couple scroll saw forums that also may be able to answer your question;

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/
http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/

Hi Bill - thanks for the links - I've not been to Rick Hutcheson's website but he does discuss the Delta Q3 Type 2 (an upgrade from my Type 1) - quoted below from his review answers my question, i.e. Delta's first model had a delayed (or slow) start which was converted to an 'instant start' - not sure if that requires a costly motor replacement; also, the clamping mechanism was improved and the price is reasonable (not sure when this was  written?) - I'll try to contact him via email if still active?  I'll also try you suggestion w/ a foot switch - have one attached to my adjacent router table.  Dave
Smile

Quote: Now the improved Q3 is on the market with some very nice changes. The main changes  are instant start, no more hesitation when you turn the switch on. The nuts on the blade  clamps have been changed to a thumbnut that doesn't need a wrench to adjust. And the  threaded rod that was in the way of the bottom clamp on the left side is now gone. The  tension lever setup has been changed to a new flip lever , a lot nicer to use, plus  eliminated a lot of the cluttered look at the front of the arm. This new tension setup will  fit onto the original Q3 arm.

To update the first version Q3 clamp and tension system, you can now order part #   1342500 from Delta. This is the complete assembly to replace on the upper arm of the   older saws, to update it to the new tension and clamp system. The cost is $29.95 for the new system conversion. It is very easy to install.
Piedmont North Carolina
Glad you were able to find the answer.

I think you would like using a footswitch on the scroll saw, even if it doesn't solve the delayed start issue. It takes a little getting used to, but keeps both hands free to maneuver the piece and gives you more control.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(04-12-2018, 11:58 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Glad you were able to find the answer.  

I think you would like using a footswitch on the scroll saw, even if it doesn't solve the delayed start issue.  It takes a little getting used to, but keeps both hands free to maneuver the piece and gives you more control.

Hi again - well I changed the footswitch from my router to the scroll size - did not solve the delayed start issue - the saw has a nice work light that is on a separate switch, and unfortunately when I turn off the scroll saw w/ my foot, the light also goes out as expected - so a trade-off since I'd like the light to stay on.

BTW, Rick Hutcheson responded promptly to my email and stated that when the Q3 was still in production, parts were available to convert both upgrades to the Type 2 changes, i.e. 'instant start' plus the newer blade clamping system.  Parts are likely no longer in production - might just check eBay?  If anyone else has a suggestion or urge to look, please let me know.  Thanks.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-12-2018, 10:49 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: I have an earlier heavy duty version which has a slight delay when starting up. This is normal. Shown in left of photo.

[Image: shop-2.jpg]

That is a 40-601...not an 'early heavy duty version' of a Q3. It has a cast aluminum C-arm, the Q3 arm is carbon fiber. 2 different machines.
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.