Added a new planer to the shop
[Image: fullsizeoutput_7ea.jpg]

I added this 20" - 5hp planer to the shop.  It has the Byrd Style Head.  This was difficult to get into my basement shop  
Rolleyes  I loved my little Steel city 13" helical head planer but I just need something with a little more oomph!  I am going to be doing a farm table and will be using an old dairy cow barn lumber for the build.  I will let you know how it performs after the job is done.
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(04-12-2018, 10:01 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: [Image: fullsizeoutput_7ea.jpg]

I added this 20" - 5hp planer to the shop.  It has the Byrd Style Head.  This was difficult to get into my basement shop  
Rolleyes  I loved my little Steel city 13" helical head planer but I just need something with a little more oomph!  I am going to be doing a farm table and will be using an old dairy cow barn lumber for the build.  I will let you know how it performs after the job is done.

Wow.  that sucker has to be 1000lb.  I bet it planes like a dream.
(04-12-2018, 10:04 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Wow.  that sucker has to be 1000lb.  I bet it planes like a dream.

The web site says 909lbs and trust me it is every bit of that.
Great looking planer - you'll probably have a bunch of woodworking friends dropping by w/ their glue-ups over the usual 12"-13" size of the 'lunch box' planers - my Makita does up to 12" which is fine for most of my small projects.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-12-2018, 10:01 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: I added this 20" - 5hp planer to the shop.  It has the Byrd Style Head.  This was difficult to get into my basement shop  

Should work pretty well but more to the point of a review, you can tell everybody how easy or how difficult it is to rotate the cutters after running reclaimed lumber and dinging up a few inserts.
Smile

Got a good metal detector and a nice wire-brush on hand before you start?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(04-12-2018, 10:38 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Should work pretty well but more to the point of a review, you can tell everybody how easy or how difficult it is to rotate the cutters after running reclaimed lumber and dinging up a few inserts.
Smile

Got a good metal detector and a nice wire-brush on hand before you start?

Rob,

Thanks for that info.  And when the time comes I will do a review of the planer and the changing of the cutters.  The planer came with a dozen extra cutters.

John
(04-12-2018, 10:56 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Rob,

Thanks for that info.  And when the time comes I will do a review of the planer and the changing of the cutters.  The planer came with a dozen extra cutters.

John

Here's hoping you don't need all of them right away... 
Big Grin

Seriously though, when you do go in and rotate inserts because of a dinged edge or otherwise, mark it with a Sharpie.  Because at some point you may decide to rotate all of them to a fresh edge (say working on some figured material and want to have the best chances at a clean cut).  It is helpful to know when you've gone all the way around.

Too lazy to look it up, default for the Byrd head on that one is HSS or carbide?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(04-12-2018, 11:10 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Here's hoping you don't need all of them right away... 
Big Grin

Seriously though, when you do go in and rotate inserts because of a dinged edge or otherwise, mark it with a Sharpie.  Because at some point you may decide to rotate all of them to a fresh edge (say working on some figured material and want to have the best chances at a clean cut).  It is helpful to know when you've gone all the way around.

Too lazy to look it up, default for the Byrd head on that one is HSS or carbide?

They are Carbide.

Thanks again for the tips!
Nice planer.   Expect your DC to fill much faster!
WoodNET... the new safespace
Can I borrow the head for my planer??

Wink  
Big Grin
"During times of universal deceit, Telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

-- George Orwell