Q: Brad, what do you want for your birthday? A: A nail gun of some sort.
Question 
That's the question that has been asked, and since *most* of the things I want are now getting more and more expensive, I'm trying to come up with something that I don't *need* but will make life easier for me without breaking the bank.  So, I want a nail gun.

But I have no clue what type/size/whatever.  I've never owned one.  Can you guys offer some advice, please?  I'm pretty sure I want something small gauge for tacking plywood projects together.  I'm in the process of building cabinets and tables for storage in my shop; I think a nailer will come in handy for those times I don't use my pocket screw jig.

Suggestions?
Semper fi,
Brad

I would start with a 16ga if you are doing a lot of 3/4" plywood.

Otherwise, a 18" ga is handy for small work in a shop.

I wouldn't go with a pin (21ga) just yet. Get your other guns first.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have a 15ga finish nailer, an 18ga brad nailer and a 23ga pin nailer.  Each one is used for specific applications.  I rarely use the finish nailer in the shop.  I got it for installing trim and doors, when we were remodeling my daughter's house.  The brad nailer gets used occasionally in the shop and also for some interior trim work.  I like to use the pin nailer, since I generally don't need to fill the holes.

For "tacking plywood projects together" I would suggest a brad nailer.  They are small and more easily maneuvered than a finish nailer.  The brads have more holding power than a pin nailer.  Mine is a PC and I've not had any problems with it.  It shoots brads up to 2" long, but I did discover that not all brands of 2" brads work in it.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(04-12-2018, 12:49 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Suggestions?

I have most types.  Here are my reasons why each kinds is useful.

For shop woodworking:

23 ga. pinner.  Amazing for small items as the pin seldom splits the wood.   It replaces clamps and the pin is almost invisible.  Pin length is a bit over an inch in most models.  I have a cheap one that cost $25 and it seems to work great.

18 ga. narrow crown stapler.  This is great for attaching plywood to wood.  I use it for cabinet and carcass backs.  I also use it heavy for pounding together jigs and fixtures.  Staple length ranges from 1/2" to 1-1/4"  -$100

18 ga. brad nailer.  This is useful for attaching face frames, trim and other needs.  The brad will need to be countersunk and the hole filled if it can be seen.  The brad will also blow out sideways often if the grain is angled so be prepared to have a ding where you use a pliers to pull the exposed brad through and out of the project.  Brad length ranges from 7/8" to 2"   -$100

15 ga. trim nailer.  This shoots bigger and longer headless nails and can be used to hang doors and frames and for larger shop projects.  $100-200

Framing nailer.  I have one and it will make you want to never use a hammer again.    $200-300.   Mine has a replacement tip that lets me shoot short strong nails into joist and truss hangers.  I love it.

I don't have a 16 ga as the 15ga and the 18ga bracket the uses perfectly.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I put more than 12,000 menards masterforce maybe 1.25" pins through a Bosch 23ga pinner with zero jams. Perfect sub surface pin placement, with in town accessable pins. Good enough for me. It will shoot up to 2" I believe.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Brad,

This is probably one of those "It depends on how you work" questions. Everybody has a different take on the answer. For what it's worth, I have two 18 Ga brad guns, a 23 Ga Pinner and a narrow crown stapler. The only ones I use with any regularity are the 18 Ga brad guns. They are great for run-of-the-mill jobs like putting together shop cabinets, jigs and such with plywood and solid wood. The brads have incredible holding power and I have used them in lots of different applications. Yes, they leave the brad head visible, but the head is small and easy to conceal with a nail set and a dab of colored putty. I'm not a big fan of the 23 Ga Pinner, but that's just me. They'er OK for holding something in place until the glue dries, but they don't have much holding power beyond that. I don't recall ever using my crown stapler - I got it at a very good price and I've never taken it out of it's box. If I were going to add to my collection, I'd add one of the (relatively) new 21 Ga brad guns. They fill the gap between the 18 Ga brad and the 23 Ga pin. They have great holding power and are almost undetectable, requiring little, if any, camouflage. The only time I think I'd like a larger gun is assembling stuff out of construction grade materials - 2X4s, crown molding and such. I don't do much of that, so my 18 Ga guns take care of about 99% of my needs.

My $.02

Hank
I have a few framers and when doing a lot of framing the tool is like cooking with gas.  I have a 15 that I used a lot when remodeling installing doors, making cabinets and heavier stuff yet not so heavy to need framing nails.  The 18 g gets more use than both now that I am not remodeling but when remodeling I used of for molding.  Pin nailer gets lot of use on things that show and is used as a clamp mostly to allow glue up.  I read this post about a week back and thought about my current projects and ordered this stapler  it gets great reviews and the price seems pretty good compared to the other vendors.  It arrives tomorrow so I can't tell you how it works.  I bought a lot of tools so as I was sorting through it I found a couple of 16 g staplers which seem to be used for roofing.  I don't do much on roofs since shattering my ankle I don't seem me using them ever, also I won a 16 g cordless nailer from Paslode that has never been out of the box because I had the 15g with a large asst of nails and the same with the 18g no real need for the 16g in my work.

Oh almost forgot depending on what you are working on a palm nailer can be exactly what you need to install nails on places you can't swing a hammer or fit a impact for using screws.  I had to get one for working in between floor joists when sistering to them
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I have several, and agree with most of what has been said, but with the pinners, I would add this...
I build a lot of boxes.  I use the pinner to tack the moldings or trim in place so it doesn't slide with the glue on the back while I place clamps. 
Yes  if I never used it for anything else, that would make it worth owning... to avoid that simple frustration. 
Yes
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Woodcraft has $10 off $25 this weekend code is TAXMAN not sure it will work in your local store but did in mine and works online
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thanks, gents. I appreciate the views.

Hank, I understand that completely--there are many types and even more different users of them for various jobs. I knew I'd get different responses and didn't expect one single "correct" answer for what I think I'll use it for, but you guys have given me an idea on where to start.

And, like routers, I'll probably end up with a variety of them.
Semper fi,
Brad