Any realtors in the house?
That Zillow listing is a lot of gray! Even the furnishings they’ve used to stage it.
(04-13-2018, 10:51 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: If you were thinking of selling, do you tear out the twenty year old floor coverings throughout the place prior to the sale and put in what you like? Or is it better to discount about 15k so the buyer can choose what they want, be it carpet, wood, tile....

Depends allot on your local market. Here in DFW there is little negotiation. You aren't going to get anything taken off the price for stuff that needs to be done and that has been true for about 10 years but now housing prices are soaring. Our house has gained 60% in value since we bought it 6 years ago and will probably sell for more than that. So with the demand here you take it or leave it. 

If you are in an area that has wiggle room IMO 15k is way too high of a deduction for floor coverings. But still if it looks good it'll sell quicker. The next owners might not love what you put in but there is allot to say for new and clean. 

As for that zillow link. Not a bad looking house. I don't mind the interior colors but I'm at the point where as long as it's clean and bright and decent workmanship I'm happy. And not a bad price for that place either. I didn't realize housing prices were that low there.
(04-14-2018, 07:37 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: That Zillow listing is a lot of gray!  Even the furnishings they’ve used to stage it.

Yep. The flipper knows what they're doing. Certainly one of the better flips I've seen. Gray and White are definitely the "in" colors right now. Have been for a few years. Before that, it was "off white" of cream colors.

If you get a chance to watch one of the Flip shows on HGTV, every kitchen and bath are done in grays. If you look at pricing for cabinetry right now, gray painted mdf is selling at the same price as hardwood.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-15-2018, 06:01 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Yep. The flipper knows what they're doing. Certainly one of the better flips I've seen. Gray and White are definitely the "in" colors right now. Have been for a few years. Before that, it was "off white" of cream colors.

If you get a chance to watch one of the Flip shows on HGTV, every kitchen and bath are done in grays. If you look at pricing for cabinetry right now, gray painted mdf is selling at the same price as hardwood.

The brickwork on the front of that house put me off immediately.  As to the kitchen flip, I expect someone was making sure the the kitchen 'triangle' was proper... but I would've put the fridge where the pantry cabinet is (and the pantry where the fridge is).  Even at the expense of the end cabinet(s).  IMO either of them would look out of place there, but a pantry cabinet less so.  Workmanship looks good, tho.  Except for all the gray and white.  
Dead

There's a whole generation of kids growing up that aren't gonna know what real wood is unless grandma and grandpa haven't downsized yet.  
No
I don’t think you leave things which need replacing or updating for the buyer with a discount.
The majority of folks don’t know how or want to make improvements. They want to buy a place and go do whatever they do.
Most folks can’t see through what they see to envision the possibilities. You have to do it for them.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(04-15-2018, 06:33 AM)KC Wrote: The brickwork on the front of that house put me off immediately.

The whole neighborhood has the same or similar brickwork. $ per square foot is dirt cheap. If that house sold in my neighborhood, which is nothing special but not in Baltimore county, it would sell around $425k. $525k twenty miles west of here. Normally I don't like painted brick but I'd paint it.

New interior, new appliances, new HVAC and the seller is replacing the roof. It's a bargain.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-15-2018, 12:05 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The whole neighborhood has the same or similar brickwork. $ per square foot is dirt cheap. If that house sold in my neighborhood, which is nothing special but not in Baltimore county, it would sell around $425k. $525k twenty miles west of here. Normally I don't like painted brick but I'd paint it.

New interior, new appliances, new HVAC and the seller is replacing the roof. It's a bargain.

It still has -0- curb appeal.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(04-16-2018, 10:47 AM)CLETUS Wrote: It still has -0- curb appeal.

Perhaps but I prefer that, rather than having to rip out stuff somebody else has done that I don't like  and redo it.  At least this way there's nothing in the way for me to improve it.
Good thread - our youngest graduates end of May, so as empty nesters we will sell this big house over the summer.

Been systematically painting bedrooms.  Recently redid the kitchen with farmhouse sink and painted all the cabinets grey (so we got that right)

We have all hardwoods except for bedrooms, plan to replace those carpeted rooms right before we list it with something new but cheap.

As we are currently in transition to lake house, some rooms are already empty, such as we moved the dining room furniture to the lake, and the game room furniture.  One of the bedrooms is empty when that kid moved to college, etc.

Not sure if empty is better or if we should stage something back while listing.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
ooh - pot filler.  Need to do that.  Garage sink on other side of wall so I know there is water in that wall.

T off the garage sink - braided line up the wall, should be a piece of cake.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere