Cherry deacons bench build completed
I usually just post finished projects but thought I would post a build as I go. I’m building a shaker inspired deacons bench. It will be 54” x 17” x 34”high. Seat and back rail will be cherry. The spindles and legs will be oak.

Started with planing and squaring up the cherry seat.

Then drilling holes for the legs. I used a 100* angle for the legs. And then cut the the 100* angle for the spindles so drilling the spindles can be done at 90*.

Attached Files Image(s)

There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

My stuff
I used a guide to drill the spindle holes straight. Took my time and all 20 came out well.

Attached Files Image(s)

My stuff
Milled up the back rail then drilled all the hole for the spindles. 7/16” holes for top spindles and 5/8” holes for bottom spindles.

Attached Files Image(s)

My stuff
Shaping the bench seat. Toughest job but enjoyable.

Attached Files Image(s)

My stuff
This will be fun to watch...
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Turned the 6 legs and finished shaping the seat. Turning the legs wasn’t too bad because they’re fairly thick but turning the spindles will be harder because how thin they are and I’m not very good at turning.

Attached Files Image(s)

My stuff
Any power tools to shape that seat or all muscle and iron? Either way, it's impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Atgcpaul said: Any power tools to shape that seat or all muscle and iron? Either way, it's impressive. Thanks for sharing.

I used a router to remove a lot of the waste but what was left was a good 4 hours of work shaping the rest with hand tools.

My stuff
(04-15-2018, 12:01 AM)rick4212 Wrote: Atgcpaul said: Any power tools to shape that seat or all muscle and iron? Either way, it's impressive. Thanks for sharing.

I used a router to remove a lot of the waste but what was left was a good 4 hours of work shaping the rest with hand tools.

Well the seat came out great and I'm enjoying the build.  Thanks for taking the time to do a build along; I know it takes extra effort, though I have found it keeps you focused on making progress, too.  

John
Nice write up & great looking bench!! I look forward to additional posts!!