Anyone made bunk beds that "pivot"?
Hi,

Daughter wants bunk beds.  She's up in the air on the style, either the type where the 2 beds are over each other or the type where 1 bed is ninety degrees to each other, with room for a desk under the upper bunk.  Make sense?

In my thinking I'm trying to figure out a way to accommodate both requests.  Here's my logic:

1) When they are in the "bed over bed" position, no problem

2) when she wants the 90 degree option I'd have to come up with a clever solution so that the lower bed turns 90 degrees and then is pushed back so it is partially covered by the upper one.  Of course, i'm thinking there would need to be different length posts to work this way.

Anyone ever built such beds?  Would love to see your plans/websites you used to enable this configuration.  Thanks!
Dumber than I appear
It would be MUCH easier to design them to assemble in either of the two configurations, rather than creating a mechanism that can move them while connected.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(04-15-2018, 06:08 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi,

Daughter wants bunk beds.  She's up in the air on the style, either the type where the 2 beds are over each other or the type where 1 bed is ninety degrees to each other, with room for a desk under the upper bunk.  Make sense?

In my thinking I'm trying to figure out a way to accommodate both requests.  Here's my logic:
Make the top an elevated XL mattress bed, and the bottom a tall trundle with normal twin length.  Gives you 5" mattress length difference to work with, so put the XL posts outside the head/foot boards for another 4-5", standard length with standing head/foot, and casters.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
It would be easier to make the lower bed on linear bearings that can easily be slid out of the way.  You can buy the linear bearings or you can fashion your own out of roller blade wheels and wooden "tracks".  

I suppose you could make the bed pivot if you can find a heavy duty hinge and use inline casters for the wheels.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.