Woodworking with Bad Shoulder Arthritis...
I am about to explain my absence from the Woodnet Family.  

I have been suffering with Arthritis pain in both of my shoulders for several years now and it greatly hindered my ability to sleep or do anything it was getting so bad.  I met with a couple of Doctors and after every test they could do to establish my overall health, they decided that total replacement was the answer for me since other than the Arthritis, I was very healthy and this would give me the best long term results for what I wanted to do.  (Woodworking - Golf - Riding a Motorcycle Etc...)

I had the first surgery on September 21st, 2017 on my left shoulder, and the second surgery on December 19th, 2017 on my right shoulder.  I have completed the initial rounds of PT and I have been cleared to go back to work.  They say it takes a full year to get back to 100% so I have to take it slow and easy.  (That is not an easy thing for me) My current project - a 9' Farm Style Table is going to require that I ask for help.  This is not something I like to do but it is something I know I must do if I want to fully recover properly.  ( I have a couple of helpers lined up)

I have no pain anymore just a little bit of stiffness in my shoulders which is getting much better with each passing day.  

I am so glad to be back in the shop, and I have a list of projects piled up, and I am looking forward to tackling those projects and getting back into the swing of things!  

I really do hope that none of you EVER have to go through this.  It was a long painful recovery, and I am so thankful to be basically pain free and on the mend!

Thanks for listening!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Awesome!  Congrats on your long return to health and good luck with your continued recovery.  I'm sure time and continued rehab will allow you to get back to all your former activities.  Kudos to you for refusing to allow your health to deteriorate.  You don't mention your age but I retired a few years ago and continue to enjoy good health just returning from two months in Florida and a month in Colorado skiing.  I'm enjoying time in my shop waiting for the weather to warm up. A note to all - take care of yourself and stay active and you can enjoy many years doing the things you love.
Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????
Congratulations. You are a brave man. I have a bum shoulder from an automobile accident 40 years ago. It gives me fits from time to time. My orthopedist advised me to keep it stretched, exercised and strong. As long as I do that, I'm good to go. He also told me the shoulder is the most complex joint in then body and that surgery is always the last resort. Sounds like you have great doctors and a wonderful outcome. Glad you're nearing the end of your recovery and that we'll be hearing more from you on this forum.
That's great to hear, John.  Isn't it wonderful what modern medicine can do when coupled with the determination to not let aging or injury rule our lives.  I can't imagine what it took for you to go through two shoulder replacements in such a short period of time.  A former colleague of mine has had both hips and knees replaced, and just had one of her shoulders replaced in November.   She said that it has been the most difficult to recover from, by far.  

But now that you're pain free, on the mend, and starting to enjoy time in your shop again I'll bet life is looking pretty good.  Having to ask for help is not something I like to do either but the upside is you get to spend time with friends, maybe even make a new friend.  

John
(04-16-2018, 08:59 AM)MeanGene Wrote: Awesome!  Congrats on your long return to health and good luck with your continued recovery.  I'm sure time and continued rehab will allow you to get back to all your former activities.  Kudos to you for refusing to allow your health to deteriorate.  You don't mention your age but I retired a few years ago and continue to enjoy good health just returning from two months in Florida and a month in Colorado skiing.  I'm enjoying time in my shop waiting for the weather to warm up. A note to all - take care of yourself and stay active and you can enjoy many years doing the things you love.

I am a youngin   I turn 60 next month.
Smile
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the well wishes and the kind words!
I sort of know what you are going through, but not both shoulder replacements. Dec 20 2017 left shoulder rotator cuff re-attached and arthritis in the joint and torn bicep. I have just been able to get back to work in the shop but the heavy 8/4 lumber is still too much at this time, the jointer is the hardest. I just finished PT and doing the excerces at home. Doc said next time it will be a shoulder replacement and will be limited to light weight lifting.
It is good to hear you are on mend and getting back to what you love to do.
Building My Dream Shop In North West Montana
I haven't been here nearly as long as most but I'm still overjoyed with your recovery progress & wish you continued success!! Glad you're on the mend & getting better John!!
(04-17-2018, 06:37 AM)GlenS Wrote: I haven't been here nearly as long as most but I'm still overjoyed with your recovery progress & wish you continued success!! Glad you're on the mend & getting better John!!

Thank you very much Glen!
I am so glad you got rid of your pain, I wish I could mine.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.