need planer help
Hi, I have a Delta 12 inch planer Model 22-540. I recently got this at a estate sale and knew the owner. I am having a problem with it. First off I have changed the blades with new ones. ? is when I feed the board thru the first 2 inches and last two inches of board seem to plane about a 1/64 more than the rest of the board. Thought my infeed and outfeed tables where not level , I checked them and all level but removed them for the sake of checking. still getting same results on wood. The boards are only about 18-24" long 5 inches wide and pine. all the feed rollers are working as should. Any help would be awesome!!!!
Tim,  lots of suggestions here, http://lumberjocks.com/topics/12326  from setting the tables a little high, to making a new longer bed, to using the cutter head lock.
(04-16-2018, 07:42 PM)Pirate Tim Wrote: Hi, I have a Delta 12 inch planer Model 22-540. I recently got this at a estate sale and knew the owner. I am having a problem with it. First off I have changed the blades with new ones. ? is when I feed the board thru the first 2 inches and last two inches of board seem to plane about a 1/64 more than the rest of the board. Thought my infeed and outfeed tables where not level , I checked them and all level but removed them for the sake of checking. still getting same results on wood. The boards are only about 18-24" long 5 inches wide and pine. all the feed rollers are working as should. Any help would be awesome!!!!

You came to the right place, the guys here can help you with this, and any other questions you might have.  This is a great source of information.

What you are experiencing is called "Snipe".  I would start by googling the phrase, "Snipe in delta 22-540 planer" and see if anything specific turns up.
I have one of those planers. It works great. The feed rollers should be set 1/32" lower than bottom dead center on the knives. That planer is a little more prone to snipe, because there is no pressure bar after the cutter.

Like with any planer, the wood going into it needs to be flat on the bottom, or you will get snipe. The wood has to get faced on a jointer first. If you don't get the wood flat before planing, you will end up with planed wood that is not flat.
@ Pirate Tim - as already indicated, 'snipe' is the issue - solutions have been suggested.  I had that Delta planer and the snipe was frustrating - I ended up using longer boards and could remove the snipe ends and/or ganging the boards together; there are other possibilities.  I finally replaced the machine w/ a Makita planer (2012NB) which has an auto lock and produces virtually no snipe; again I usually will use a slightly longer board(s) and trim the ends.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-16-2018, 07:42 PM)Pirate Tim Wrote: Hi, I have a Delta 12 inch planer Model 22-540. I recently got this at a estate sale and knew the owner. I am having a problem with it. First off I have changed the blades with new ones. ? is when I feed the board thru the first 2 inches and last two inches of board seem to plane about a 1/64 more than the rest of the board. Thought my infeed and outfeed tables where not level , I checked them and all level but removed them for the sake of checking. still getting same results on wood. The boards are only about 18-24" long 5 inches wide and pine. all the feed rollers are working as should. Any help would be awesome!!!!

(1st) When you feed the boards in, reach under the trailing end of the board and push up a little.  Snipe occurs when the end of the wood tilts up into the cutter head,  By pushing up a little on the trailing end, you are lowering the leading end down from rising to far up into the cutter head to make it go through flat on the table, avoiding snipe. Then (2) reach around to the leading edge of the board and push up gently, just as you did earlier with the trailing end.  That move keeps the trailing end flat on the table and down from going too far up into the cutter head. 

It's a bit of a ballet, but pretty easy and effective.  Keep the board flat on the tables by pushing up gently on the trailing end as it enters the cutters and by pushing up gently on the leading end as it exits the cutters.  It works for me, and I don't have to waste a couple inches on each end of a longer board.

You got good advice, one other thing that will eliminate snipe. Use  scraps same thickness as the work piece for and aft. Any snipe will occur on the scrap pieces only.
mike
That is a cheap, entry level planer, so I would not expect perfection.
Wood is good. 
I first had a PM lunchbox planer. Very loud, and left snipe. Lifting up on the board, was only way to minimize it.
The next 2 planers I got were old stationary planers. Boice-Crane 12" and Delta 13".
Tuned right and no snipe.
And are 10x quieter.
The B-C was the fastest to use.
Send board in. When it comes out, turn height crank 1/4 turn or so, and stick board back in.
Repeat as needed
The planer didn't have any table locks. None needed!
To lower the table a lot. Give the crank a spin, and it will turn 2 times before stopping. Amazing old planer.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer

I have the 560 planer and the outside edges of the infeed and outfeed tables are about 1/16" higher than the bed.    If I place a straight edge on the outside edge to the other outside table edge I can fit a penny between the straight edge and the planer bed.    Remember once the board is past the infeed roller there is nothing to hold it down on the back edge and weight of the front edge pulls it down which raises it into the cutter head.  Roly