Nova Galaxi DVR 1644
(04-17-2018, 07:43 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: ....

When you buy this lathe, figure in the fact that it comes with a live center and a 4 fluke drive center but no scroll chuck.  I had a Super Nova 2 chuck on my Shopsmith so I got another one for the Galaxi, along with a few other jaw sets.  BE HEREBY WARNED that you can get really accustomed to having multiple chucks rather than just having multiple jaw sets and have to keep switching them.  This is probably a glaring example of a first world problem but I don't care.  I just enjoy having them both.  Three would be better.

We have seven chucks (and three lathes), but sometimes seven isn't enough. She has two chuck occupied right now and I have one. Plus the dedicated rim-grab chuck (screw four blocks of wood to a cole-jaw, turn to match the rim of a bowl and you can rim grab the entire bowl, works really well for wood we can't vacuum chuck)
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
If you do not want to pay for a lot of chucks you can get the EZ Chucks where they come off and on in seconds.  You can get all of the jaws and chuck for the price of two chucks elsewhere.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-16-2018, 08:28 PM)pat28 Wrote: Dear fellow woodturners,

I have just sold my first lathe, a midi size, and decided to move on to what I would like to be my last lathe for my fortieth anniversary. I am currently looking at the Nova Galaxi DVR 1644. It is about 460 lbs, 44 inches between centers, 16 in. swing, capacity of 29 in. with outrigger attachment, and the latest update in motor technology for Nova. Does anyone here own one, or has anyone tried one? Any feedback would be appreciated before I pull out the $$$.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Patrick

Patrick, I have had it in my shop for 6 months or so. It is an excellent lathe.

I had their DVR 2024. It was an early DVR. Great lathe, and I loved the DVR features. The newer models, including the Galaxi, are much more advanced. You will not be dissapointed.

Just to be clear, I have done a fair amount of work with Teknatool, but I do like their stuff.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(04-18-2018, 11:41 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If you do not want to pay for a lot of chucks you can get the EZ Chucks where they come off and on in seconds.  You can get all of the jaws and chuck for the price of two chucks elsewhere.

Not sure what you're trying to say.  I dismount, remount the piece as required on the appropriate jaws/pin as required.

With the pin chuck to rough, and appropriate size to finish, you would have less than the price of the EZ setup invested.  Recommend them to any turner who has nothing to begin with.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Hi fellow woodturners,

So based on the input I got from you and from the Teknatool Owners page on Facebook, I went ahead and bought the Galaxi. I asked the store to unbox it so it could be carried in separate parts. This made transporting it easy. Putting it together was a breeze as it only meant screwing eight bolts into place. Putting the motor on the bed required a bit of help as I needed to align the t-slot insert while I held the headstock.

Of course I had to give the lathe a try the next day. I even made a basic shelf to store my tools on the bed. I made a bunch of tops if only to make some chips. The first words that came to my mind were stable, smooth, quiet and powerful. I also found it easy to operate, and could see how it could be programmed to make it even better.

In short, I look forward to spending countless hours with my new love.

Thank you all for your help!

Patrick