Thanks for the advice on resawing
Thumbs Up 
Over many months I've asked about resawing on my bandsaw and have been given lots of advice.  This week I *finally* tried it for the first time.  I put a new Timberwolf 1/2" resawing blade on my 14" Delta with 3/4hp motor, mounted the stock fence, and went at it.

The stock was 8" tall, 5/4, jointed/planed just enough to make both sides flat and parallel.  It worked great, without a hitch.

Lessons learned:
  • 3/4hp is adequate, but can get bogged down if I push it too hard.  I'm still hunting for a 1.5hp motor, though.
  • I need to fab up a taller fence.
  • I need to use a featherboard to ensure a straighter cut.
So, thanks to you guys for helping me out!  Now I have bookmatched panels for the cradle I'm building.
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-17-2018, 12:44 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Over many months I've asked about resawing on my bandsaw and have been given lots of advice.  This week I *finally* tried it for the first time.  I put a new Timberwolf 1/2" resawing blade on my 14" Delta with 3/4hp motor, mounted the stock fence, and went at it.

The stock was 8" tall, 5/4, jointed/planed just enough to make both sides flat and parallel.  It worked great, without a hitch.

Lessons learned:
  • 3/4hp is adequate, but can get bogged down if I push it too hard.  I'm still hunting for a 1.5hp motor, though.
  • I need to fab up a taller fence.
  • I need to use a featherboard to ensure a straighter cut.
So, thanks to you guys for helping me out!  Now I have bookmatched panels for the cradle I'm building.

I clamp a tall fence to my bandsaw fence.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
+1 on clamping a tall fence board on.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(04-22-2018, 05:50 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: +1 on clamping a tall fence board on.

Or a tall pivot,  a la Duginskie.  For me, it's on the right of the blade, so my clumsier left hand is responsible only for keeping the face against the pivot, as the right feeds and compensates for any drift.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Michael, I'm left handed, so I put the fence on the right side of the blade. I'll need to do the opposite if I wish to use a feather board in the track on the table. Which is fine with me, as the feather board will provide the positive pressure against the (next time taller) fence. Then I'll just need to push it through.

I didn't get any drift on the blade. It tracked straight through. The only flaws in the surface were from me not maintaining pressure against the fence equally as I cut.
Semper fi,
Brad