Woodworking class for middle schoolers -- Golden CO area?
A friend from Golden CO has a son in middle school who wants to learn woodworking. She has not been able to find classes. I suggested community colleges (if they allow kids) and asking at the local Woodcraft/Rockler. Not much to go on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
  • How far is she from Lakewood?  They teach woodworking and particularly luthier work.

https://www.rrcc.edu/arvada
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Hi Aram - don't know if I can be of much help - but you might want to check the technical colleges in the area; for example, Forsyth Technical College is in my town and offers a woodworking course (described below in the pic) - don't know what the age requirements may be, but check your local technical & trade schools.  Second, you might want to see if there are any woodworking clubs that provide demonstrations and even some basic training.  

Finally, find a good local woodworker who might accept some visits for observation and possible training - I had a radiology resident about 6 years ago who knew that I was a woodworker - our first project for him was a CD/DVD wall cabinet (pic below - walnut w/ dowels as shelves) - we did a few more projects and he did learn a lot (now has his own WW shop).  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(04-17-2018, 09:53 PM)Aram Wrote: A friend from Golden CO has a son in middle school who wants to learn woodworking. She has not been able to find classes. I suggested community colleges (if they allow kids) and asking at the local Woodcraft/Rockler. Not much to go on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Aram

I went to High School in Golden High and I/We went to Warren Tech which the Tech School bought the land and we the students would build the houses from the ground up and I mean everything.  I did that for 4 years and that is how I learned how to build houses those 4 years.  They also have or had several other like auto and many more there.

Hope they are still in business.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks, everyone. I sent her the link to this thread, so she should be following it. Really appreciate your help!

Also this is making me miss the Rockies....
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Small world.  I went to college in Golden (Colorado School of Mines).  Warren Tech is the Jefferson Country vocational/technical HS in Lakewood has a Building Trades program that includes carpentry skills.  It's worth looking into.  Red Rock Community College offers woodworking classes, as well as luthier classes, but as you said, it may not allow middle schoolers admission.  You can call and check.  I know CSM has a wood shop, but it's mostly used to support the labs the college uses, so it's not likely she'd be able to learn there either.  Rocky Mountain Community College also has a pretty good woodworking school.  Sadly, the Jefferson County school district discontinued woodworking from their technical / trades track a long time ago.

Quick story:
I arrived at CSM as a freshman in 1974.  Coors was a regional beer then with near cult status.  Mines was also relatively small compared to today (1800 students, including graduate students vs. 6000 today).  During Freshman Orientation, the speaker said:  "There are three big businesses in Golden.  There's Mines.  There's Coors.  And there's the pipeline that runs between the two!"  (Drinking age throughout my tenure there was 18.)  For the record, I don't drink, so I was in a very small minority of students.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-19-2018, 12:06 PM)AHill Wrote: Small world.  I went to college in Golden (Colorado School of Mines).  Warren Tech is the Jefferson Country vocational/technical HS in Lakewood has a Building Trades program that includes carpentry skills.  It's worth looking into.  Red Rock Community College offers woodworking classes, as well as luthier classes, but as you said, it may not allow middle schoolers admission.  You can call and check.  I know CSM has a wood shop, but it's mostly used to support the labs the college uses, so it's not likely she'd be able to learn there either.  Rocky Mountain Community College also has a pretty good woodworking school.  Sadly, the Jefferson County school district discontinued woodworking from their technical / trades track a long time ago.

Quick story:
I arrived at CSM as a freshman in 1974.  Coors was a regional beer then with near cult status.  Mines was also relatively small compared to today (1800 students, including graduate students vs. 6000 today).  During Freshman Orientation, the speaker said:  "There are three big businesses in Golden.  There's Mines.  There's Coors.  And there's the pipeline that runs between the two!"  (Drinking age throughout my tenure there was 18.)  For the record, I don't drink, so I was in a very small minority of students.

We might have met Allan.  I was there from 74-76 in high school of course.  I did take a semester of schooling at CSM after high school and went into the AF in 77
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The Woodcraft in Denver is definitely her best bet.
Wink
They have a Woodworking 101 class. I know at the Delaware store we didn't have a hard age limit. All of the kids that came in (in my time there) and wanted to learn woodworking were well behaved enough. She might have to take the class as well or at least stay with them. The stores are franchises though so they might have different rules, definitely call to make sure.