Is popular a good wood for bunk beds?
Walnut, cherry, maple.... all lumber could only wish to be Popular.
I, too, have made one for my grandsons out of pine. I used 2 x 6's, & spun the corner posts from poplar. It has held very well agin' the rompin' of two young boys. I personally would not use maple of any kind & paint it. I'm one of those that likes to see the natural grain of the wood. Using pine will serve you well if mortised & braced well. But poplar, imo, would be the better choice bcause of paint, & it is somewhat harder than pine. If you chose your poplar wisely, there is a lot of colorful combinations in poplar itself.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(04-18-2018, 12:18 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Poplar is harder than pine and would be prefered over pine imo.

Depends on the species of pine.  Douglas fir and southern yellow pine are harder than poplar.  Spruce is 40% harder than poplar.  Eastern and Western white pine and Sugar pine are softer.  After they cure (resins harden) in pine, most pines are harder than poplar.  Given bunk beds get a lot of abuse, I'd opt for a harder wood than poplar.  I can dent poplar with my fingernails.  I don't subscribe to the theory that girls will be less abusive than boys on bunk beds.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Is popular a good wood for bunk beds?

depends on whats popular. if balsa is popular, no.
Smile
(04-19-2018, 12:38 PM)tomsteve Wrote: Is popular a good wood for bunk beds?

depends on whats popular. if balsa is popular, no.
Smile

Tulip-Poplar, I assume?  Adequate, but build in large section and round every edge.

Poplar, as in true poplar(s) (Aspen) can be hairy and very soft, or nearly the same as Tulip.  You'll find it sold as "whitewood" many places.  I'd avoid the funky-odor stuff like balsam.  Hairy, hard to work, and doesn't take paint well.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Marnie Ousler, the contractor on "My Big Beach Builds" likes to build bunk beds and she seems to include one in almost all of her shows.

She likes to build them from 2 x 4s and 2 x 6s and have them as built-ins.  The built-in allows her a lot of design freedom and I think she has a  real talent for these beds.  They show up in the photos, but they are not necessarily the focus of the images.

https://www.google.com/search?q=my+big+b...62#imgrc=_

[Image: e70890cf7a5c8fa2cc8249ca172314ab.jpg]

Or watch this episode:  https://www.diynetwork.com/shows/big-bea...each-bunks

Bethany Beach Bunks

A family with a new baby is bursting out of their cramped bungalow in Bethany Beach, Delaware, and has challenged Marnie to work miracles with a small budget. She creates more space for the family by opening up the kitchen, relocating a laundry room and building magical bunk beds to accommodate the children.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.