Cordless Trim Routers - Few Choices & Powerful Enough?
At present, I have a number of Li-Ion drills of different brands, including several by Bosch (regular & hammer) - my Bosch cordless tools run on 12v & 18v (most of my non-drill Bosch tools are 18v) - also have a half dozen corded routers and was thinking of a cordless option, but few are available - pic below shows a Makita trim router + a Bosch 12v trim router which will not be released until June 1.

Pros - edge profiling on smaller projects - would love to use a cordless router for this purpose; Cons - 1/4" bits only, power issues, etc. - looking at the Makita, seems top-heavy to me; the Bosch is more acceptable and I have the batteries already (not true for Makita) - obviously, no reviews on the Bosch yet - but just curious what others may think of a 'cordless router'?  Thanks for any comments - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Since I'm heavily into the 12v Bosch line, it'll get a serious look.....

Hopefully the height adjustment will be better than the gen 1 Colt routers.

Ed
That Makita is sexy, plus I already have the batteries. If it came with an 8mm collet I would have pulled the trigger already.
I own the makita. Its awesome and has a led light built in and a mid base dust collection port option. I used it on THOUSANDS of 90 degree v bit counter sink holes. Its great. I bought a plunge base for mine obviously. Same base as their corded trim plunge router uses.

What can I test it on for you?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Never used a cordless router, like you, I had power questions.  But if Mike, happily used the Makita during his shop build, the Makita will be high on my list when I start looking.  I have been very happy with my other 18v Makitas.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Waiting for Milwaukee's version......
(04-19-2018, 09:14 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Never used a cordless router, like you, I had power questions.  But if Mike, happily used the Makita during his shop build, the Makita will be high on my list when I start looking.  I have been very happy with my other 18v Makitas.

Want to say I also used it with 4.0ah batteries.

It goes and goes then you start to hear it bog 3-6 times then dies.

One thing I was doing was, while up in the air at 16', I was able to use it to plunge countersink holes in the wall. The holes were perfect using that V bit. Originally I was using a drill - this was 5X faster and looked 100X better. Plus no cords for a reg router.

Also it was very nice not having the cord when using with the vac at the bench.

Another thing it was super hand for - I had 15 boards set up at a time - all over the shop. I just walked around to each on because no cord.

I don't consider any of this heavy routing but it was super sweet for what I wanted it for.

Buying the bare tool was the way to go then order the plunge base al la carte using the model number from the corded combo. Saved a ton that way vs buying the cordless combo of the two.

I also own a 611 and a colt. The 611 is the best of the three if you want corded. I bought the Makita only because I have a bunch of lxt stuff.

While we are discussing cordless lxt luxary tools - I also got the T50 cordless stapler for the batt insulation work all over that I did - soooooooo sweet for that!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

@ Mike - thanks for your input on the Makita tools, especially their cordless router.  At present, I have just 3 Makita tools (surface planer, biscuit joiner, and planer, all corded) - if I purchased the 18v router, I'd also need a charger plus 2 batteries (always want 2 batteries just in case one dies during a project or I need another tool) - THUS, I'd have to look for a few more Makita tools that would run on these batteries - will take a look at the prices and the other types of tools offered.

QUESTIONS - 1) With the battery in place, the router really looks top heavy - is it well balanced and easily used with one hand; 2) Assume only a 1/4" collet; and 3) Do bit changes require 2 wrenches?   Thanks - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-19-2018, 10:35 AM)giradman Wrote: @ Mike - thanks for your input on the Makita tools, especially their cordless router.  At present, I have just 3 Makita tools (surface planer, biscuit joiner, and planer, all corded) - if I purchased the 18v router, I'd also need a charger plus 2 batteries (always want 2 batteries just in case one dies during a project or I need another tool) - THUS, I'd have to look for a few more Makita tools that would run on these batteries - will take a look at the prices and the other types of tools offered.

QUESTIONS - 1) With the battery in place, the router really looks top heavy - is it well balanced and easily used with one hand; 2) Assume only a 1/4" collet; and 3) Do bit changes require 2 wrenches?   Thanks - Dave
Smile

Watch around black Friday.  There are always lots of cordless deals then.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(04-18-2018, 10:16 PM)giradman Wrote: At present, I have a number of Li-Ion drills of different brands, including several by Bosch (regular & hammer) - my Bosch cordless tools run on 12v & 18v (most of my non-drill Bosch tools are 18v) - also have a half dozen corded routers and was thinking of a cordless option, but few are available - pic below shows a Makita trim router + a Bosch 12v trim router which will not be released until June 1.

Pros - edge profiling on smaller projects - would love to use a cordless router for this purpose; Cons - 1/4" bits only, power issues, etc. - looking at the Makita, seems top-heavy to me; the Bosch is more acceptable and I have the batteries already (not true for Makita) - obviously, no reviews on the Bosch yet - but just curious what others may think of a 'cordless router'?  Thanks for any comments - Dave
Smile

I would have my doubts about the 12 volt one having much oomph. Porter Cable had a 19.2 volt cordless that never caught on. Batteries are better these days so maybe.