Cordless Trim Routers - Few Choices & Powerful Enough?
Alternate clear offset bases for the Rigid Cordless Router?

I have offset bases for most of my routers - for the smaller ones (P-C 310 & DeWalt shown below), these were purchased from the late Pat Warner (and I'm sure he would have offered similar products for the newer routers) - the Rigid router comes w/ a small square base (there seems to be a round option - second pic - but probably will not be included in my purchase?) - SO, for those who own this router, have you bought and/or made offset bases for this machine?  Would be a lot easier to support this 'top heavy' router w/ a wider offset base - thanks for any comments and recommendations.  Dave
Smile

P.S. I've made a number of 'primitive' router bases myself (usually from polycarbonate), so my other option.

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
It's the same sub base as the corded ridgid router in fact the base of the router is the same part as is much of the rest of the router. 

I have both and have been too lazy to make bases for them. But every time I use it I complain the base is too small.

I paid around $65 for my cordless ridgid router when they were clearing them out of the stores. Then a few months later they make them a normal stock item at regular price again.. Depot never knows which way they are going. The ryobi one that looks the same pretty much is when looking over the parts breakdown. The older version is not worth buying as its as old as the blue ryobi tools, it just got the color change years ago.
For those interested in the Bosch cordless edge router, I did receive an email response from Bosch, quoted below - checked the 'Press Room' and there were 10 pages of items but no cordless router - since I was losing confidence in this product being released in the USA, I went ahead w/ purchase of the Rigid router - still would be interested in those w/ the Rigid product whether alternate clear base plates are available - I've found a number of 'universal' and even offset router plates but the Rigid was not mentioned?  Thanks - Dave

Quote:Hi David,

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting Bosch Power Tools.

I understand that you are inquiring about the availability of Bosch GKF12V-25N (12V cordless palm router). As of the moment, there has not been any news or announcement from our Product Manager or Marketing team regarding this model yet. I am hoping for this tool to be officially released here too. This model was released in the UK last year, 29th of Sept.

I highly suggest for you to visit our Pressroom page, to check if this tool will be released. Our marketing also uses this page to announce latest model releases.

I'll forward this email to our Product Manager, so they can be aware, and so they might consider releasing it here in the future.

Hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if you have further concern or question and I'd be glad to assist.

Kind regards,

Paul
Bosch Customer Support

Piedmont North Carolina
https://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Router-Pl...B075W2M659
(05-02-2018, 08:47 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Acrylic-Router-Pl...B075W2M659

Hi Robert - thanks for that link above - rather pricey but certainly provides a wider base - still would like an offset design - I have a bunch of Lexan (i.e. polycarbonate, a better option that acrylic for that purpose) - may try to make my own offset base?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(05-02-2018, 09:43 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Robert - thanks for that link above - rather pricey but certainly provides a wider base - still would like an offset design - I have a bunch of Lexan (i.e. polycarbonate, a better option that acrylic for that purpose) - may try to make my own offset base?  Dave
Smile

I've made a couple clear bases, it's pretty easy if the router has a plunge base. Use the existing base & a Vix bit to mark & drill the mounting holes. Chuck a V bit in the plunge router with the new base attached. The V bit will mark the center of the bit opening. I've made the bases to accomodate Porter Cable style bushings so drill a 1/8" hole all the way through. I use forstner bits to create the shoulder and through hole, I'm not sure about the bit sizes. I have counter bored the mounting holes and made them slightly over sized so I could move the base a bit to precisely center the bit, replacing the flat head screws with pan head. I used 3/8" Lexan to have a little more 'meat' to work with.
Well, my Rigid cordless router arrived today - included the router, the round clear base plate, charger w/ one 2 AH battery (bought a second one from Amazon - nearly free w/ some VISA card credit), edge guide, & a round over bit - great package for just $130 from Home Depot - charged the batteries and did a few 'test runs' w/ the bit sent - cut beautifully - for my usual 'small' projects, this may become a favorite for doing minor edge profiles.

Now, I bought just the 2 AH batteries because of size - trying to avoid a top-heavy issue, BUT the base is still small - tomorrow, I'll try to make a decent offset base using some Lexan - may not be up to Pat Warner's standards but should work - let's see?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Yeah the base is small and the top heavy battery is a learning curve but the corded one isn't much different with dragging the cord around and heavier motor. 

Pats  bases were very nice. But they don't have to be pretty to work well. When you look at the tools in production shops it's all home made looking jigs. It's function over form, no one cares how the jig looks just that it works well.
(05-04-2018, 11:08 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Yeah the base is small and the top heavy battery is a learning curve but the corded one isn't much different with dragging the cord around and heavier motor. 

Pats  bases were very nice. But they don't have to be pretty to work well. When you look at the tools in production shops it's all home made looking jigs. It's function over form, no one cares how the jig looks just that it works well.

For those interested, I made an offset base for my new Rigid cordless router today (about 4 hrs work) - used a scrap of Lexan (polycarbonate) and simply traced the offset base made by Pat Warner for my PC 310 trim router - used mainly the drill press for drilling the holes & the countersinks; Forstner bits were handy; change the blade on my band saw to a finer 1/4" and cut out the pattern; smooth the edges w/ my oscillating sander - not as refined as Pat's edges but smooth enough and will not be used to follow any guides.  Goofed on the first hole for the handle (wrong side) - recovered and cut a hole in a dowel piece to raise the handle - all 4 screws into the router fit smoothly and feels goods - should make edge profiling a lot easier and more reliable.  Below a pic of Pat's 310 base along my handmade one attached.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Just an update from a thread that I started back in April - the Bosch cordless trim router is now available - ordered the 'bare tool' from Amazon and arrived today (pic below) - an updated review HERE which was quite positive, for those interested.  Just ran a few 'round overs' which came out well - like the ergonomics of this hand router, i.e. most of the base is on the surface of the work piece; easily held and not top heavy at all; collet lock makes one wrench bit placement easy; finally, height adjustments are quickly and accurately done - believe that this will be my 'go to' router for simple edge treatments on smaller projects.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina