Floor Model Mortiser - Which one to Buy?
Hi All,

Just wondering if there was anything out there better than the Powermatic 719T Floor Model Mortiser.  I have been getting by with a bench top mortiser but I need something more robust and with the sliding table.  I have been doing a lot of them lately, and I need to be able to do them on angles in certain projects, i.e. Knee Braces on a Farm Table project that I am working on now.  I would like to know what you guys would recommend.  And where I could find it for the best price.

Thanks in advance!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(04-19-2018, 11:13 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Hi All,

Just wondering if there was anything out there better than the Powermatic 719T Floor Model Mortiser.  I have been getting by with a bench top mortiser but I need something more robust and with the sliding table.  I have been doing a lot of them lately, and I need to be able to do them on angles in certain projects, i.e. Knee Braces on a Farm Table project that I am working on now.  I would like to know what you guys would recommend.  And where I could find it for the best price.

Thanks in advance!
John

The grizzly floor model is highly regarded as well.  I have used one, and it performed great for me.  

From my research at the time, those were the 2 contenders in that price range.

The Powermatic benchtop model is the clear cut winner of benchtops, I used the heck out of one of those for awhile and it works awesome.
(04-19-2018, 11:40 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: The grizzly floor model is highly regarded as well.  I have used one, and it performed great for me.  

From my research at the time, those were the 2 contenders in that price range.

The Powermatic benchtop model is the clear cut winner of benchtops, I used the heck out of one of those for awhile and it works awesome.

Are you talking about the one that Grizzly is asking around $1600.00 for?

Thanks!
John
(04-19-2018, 11:44 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Are you talking about the one that Grizzly is asking around $1600.00 for?

Thanks!
John

Yes sir.  That's it.  It has the tilting head.  The powermatic has a tilting table.

I can tell you though, tilting the head on the grizzly aint very easy or fun.  I would look for almost any solution that didn't require me to do that...

The other features of the grizzly, including the x-y travel of the table were very nice.  

The Horsepower difference is irrelevant in my opinion.  3/4hp is plenty enough to run even a 1" auger bit through hardwoods without issue.  

The benefit of the larger machines is the sliding table and workholding solutions.  The sliding table is a huge improvement over the benchtop models. However, if you bolt down the the PM701 to your workbench it can bang out holes with the best of em.
(04-19-2018, 11:54 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Yes sir.  That's it.  It has the tilting head.  The powermatic has a tilting table.

I can tell you though, tilting the head on the grizzly aint very easy or fun.  I would look for almost any solution that didn't require me to do that...

The other features of the grizzly, including the x-y travel of the table were very nice.  

The Horsepower difference is irrelevant in my opinion.  3/4hp is plenty enough to run even a 1" auger bit through hardwoods without issue.  

The benefit of the larger machines is the sliding table and workholding solutions.  The sliding table is a huge improvement over the benchtop models. However, if you bolt down the the PM701 to your workbench it can bang out holes with the best of em.

I can get the Powermatic 719T on Amazon for $1299.00 with free shipping so I am leaning that way unless I can find a used one somewhere quick.  

Thanks again for the info!
(04-19-2018, 11:13 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
John

John.....Years ago I bought a PowerMatic 719A at a local woodworking show for about $600......I absolutely love it......on the toy/tool continuum, its all tool......if I have to mortise at an angle, I use wedges which has worked great......wonderful tool......two thumbs up.
Here is one, but I do not know how good it is.

Model 34-260: Benchtop X – Y Mortiser

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rikon-34-260-.../101729722

or here

https://www.amazon.com/RIKON-Power-Tools...B00SOR41CO
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Jet makes a nice mortiser with a tilting table. I bought an almost unused one from a guy on Craigslist, an older model without the tilting head. I love it. I compared the Jet and the Powermatic at our local dealer who carries both, and the Jet looks almost identical to the Powermatic. If I were buying new, I'd probably buy a Powermatic, just because I like Powermatic products, but I'm perfectly happy with my Jet. If you've been using a bench top mortiser, you're going to love over whichever floor standing model you buy.
Thanks guys for the feedback!

John
(04-19-2018, 01:23 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Jet makes a nice mortiser with a tilting table. I bought an almost unused one from a guy on Craigslist, an older model without the tilting head. I love it. I compared the Jet and the Powermatic at our local dealer who carries both, and the Jet looks almost identical to the Powermatic. If I were buying new, I'd probably buy a Powermatic, just because I like Powermatic products, but I'm perfectly happy with my Jet. If you've been using a bench top mortiser, you're going to love over whichever floor standing model you buy.

The non-tilting table floor-standing Jet is the former Powermatic model but with different paint.  I wasn't aware that Jet had a tilting table version, which I thought was reserved for the Powermatic line. When Powermatic released their current tilting-table version, they made the non-tilt a Jet model.  In fact, you can still see "PM" on the castings on mine:

[Image: IMG_1833.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1831.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1839.jpg]
However, for $1299 shipped, the current Powermatic on Amazon is a no-brainer.  Interestingly, it's one of if not the only Powermatic tool that hasn't increased in price in the last decade or so.