Floor Model Mortiser - Which one to Buy?
Nice find, John! You're going to love it.

Cian's comment about Jet not making a tilt table version their floor-standing mortiser got me curious. I looked on Jet's web site and the only mortiser they currently list is their bench top model. They must have discontinued their floor standing models. I'm pretty sure Jet made a tilt table model like the Powermatic, but I could be wrong. In any event, I'm very happy with my non-tilt-table Jet. it's a solid machine that does what it's supposed to do.
(04-21-2018, 09:57 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Nice find, John! You're going to love it.

Cian's comment about Jet not making a tilt table version their floor-standing mortiser got me curious. I looked on Jet's web site and the only mortiser they currently list is their bench top model. They must have discontinued their floor standing models. I'm pretty sure Jet made a tilt table model like the Powermatic, but I could be wrong. In any event, I'm very happy with my non-tilt-table Jet. it's a solid machine that does what it's supposed to do.

Thanks Hank!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Good find, Could I suggest you splurge and buy some high quality chisels. It makes a huge difference.. Lee Valley seems to have a premium set and there is Fisch.. ? Not sure what else.. A high quality bit will make that machine even nicer to use ..
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

(04-26-2018, 02:04 AM)Rick F Wrote: Good find,  Could I suggest you splurge and buy some high quality chisels.  It makes a huge difference..  Lee Valley seems to have a premium set and there is Fisch.. ?  Not sure what else..   A high quality bit will make that machine even nicer to use ..

It came with the Jet Industrial Set.  The box has a price of $149.95 on it.  

[Image: fullsizeoutput_839.jpg]

Are those other Chisels better?  

Thanks!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(04-26-2018, 07:58 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: It came with the Jet Industrial Set.  The box has a price of $149.95 on it.  

[Image: fullsizeoutput_839.jpg]

Are those other Chisels better?  

Thanks!
John

Use the ones you have and get the diamond cones to hone the insides.  And a small auger file or diamond paddle with a safe edge to work on the auger lip.  Polish the outsides of the chisels on some stones of some kind.  Makes a huge difference if the chisel and auger are sharp.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin