Low Height Nailer
Does anybody make  a nailer that is short in height. Something like 5 or 6 inches tall. Most of the "compact" ones seem to be 9 inches or more. I need to nail a laminate over stairs and am limited by the clearance between stairs.

Doesnt matter 18 gage, 21 gage or 23 gage.

Thanks for any leads.
Your only choice might be a palm nailer (a very handy item).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6d5E0teyMA
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(04-19-2018, 04:56 PM)Vijay Wrote: Does anybody make  a nailer that is short in height. Something like 5 or 6 inches tall. Most of the "compact" ones seem to be 9 inches or more. I need to nail a laminate over stairs and am limited by the clearance between stairs.

Doesnt matter 18 gage, 21 gage or 23 gage.

Thanks for any leads.

(04-19-2018, 05:58 PM)Cooler Wrote: Your only choice might be a palm nailer (a very handy item).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6d5E0teyMA

Hi Vijay - I had a palm nailer years ago - a PITA and not sure would work in your situation - if possible, can you post some pics on the situation from different angles - maybe that would help us determine some alternate options.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-19-2018, 07:51 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi Vijay - I had a palm nailer years ago - a PITA and not sure would work in your situation - if possible, can you post some pics on the situation from different angles - maybe that would help us determine some alternate options.  Dave
Smile

There is a good chance that a palm nailer will destroy an 18 gauge pin.  The smaller sizes are dead in the water.

I have a Great Neck magnetic manual brad driver that works great in softer woods.  Only about $8.00 on Amazon.  He might have to cut down the handle to work in the tight space.  Leverage will be an issue too.  It takes a bit of force to manually drive in a brad.

In the video he cuts down brads to size.  I just buy the correct size loose brads and use them.  It requires some brute strength in hard wood, but pine and poplar are pretty easy.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nJORdI7LJTE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is the driver:

[Image: 4d76598d-1aed-43b1-a8e8-0d00ab73a473_1.e...nBg=FFFFFF]

And here it is being used:

[Image: 4+Drive+Nail.JPG]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
    [attachment=10013]Thank you all.  For additional details, I was trying to secure a 1 inch strip of laminate that was engaged by tongue and groove. I decided to use the same adhesive Bostick Treadlock that I was using on the rest of the laminate, and hoped that gravity and tongue and groove interlock would work. So far it seems to be holding fine.

Attached are some pictures before and after.  I hope I am successful posting these.

Looks like the palm nailer is too clumsy for this application, and the brad pusher also will not work here due to the less than 6 inch space.

Thanks everyone. I think I am good for now.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi again Vijay - the laminate looks nice - I don't completely understand your application, i.e. is this a 'sheet' or pieces? Is there any adhesive involved, applied or PSA?  If some type of adhesive, glue, contact cement is not involved then a consideration?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-20-2018, 05:08 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi again Vijay - the laminate looks nice - I don't completely understand your application, i.e. is this a 'sheet' or pieces? Is there any adhesive involved, applied or PSA?  If some type of adhesive, glue, contact cement is not involved then a consideration?  Dave
Smile

If you look at this picture, you can see that the laminate comes in a 8 inch wide approx.  I have glued it in place with the Bostik Tradlock and some brads. The nose is held in place by brads and glue also.

The one inch piece on the back is interlocked by tongue and groove to the 8 inch wide laminate and also glued .  This was the piece I was trying to nail, but could not due to the limited headroom by the stair above

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks Vijay - have a much better understanding of the 'system' you're using - thanks for adding the pics (quite helpful) and the explanations - can you also glue the 1 inch strip and/or nail/pin to the edge rather than the top?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Maybe I am missing something, but couldn't you just use some clamps until the glue dries?
Yes I did use glue on all the pieces.  Yes I did use clamps. I had to , since I could not nail the 1 inch strip.