Badger? How to deal with it?
We moved to our acreage four years ago.  It's essentially open ground on top of a hill.  

We get the normal assortment of critters and pests; ground squirrels, an occasional gopher, rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc.  I generally don't take action until they either get destructive, pose a threat to our chickens, or are simply overrunning the place.  Ground squirrels and rabbits are usually the target in that case.

Last year I a badger on the property.  I know they're around; I've seen the occasional road kill.

Once or twice a year, something will dig a large hole, much larger than I've seen for a gopher dig.  Since I never see it happen, I normally just fill them in with water and dry soil.  Whatever it was never returned to the same spot.

Last night, whatever it is had a party in our south field.  It redug a large hole I filled in last week, and dug two more.

Here's a pic: 

The "foot prints" in the pile of soil are from whatever it was that dug the hole.

Here's a closeup of the hole.  That's an 18-inch ruler to give some sense of size.

I think a badger is causing this.  Going on that assumption, I'm prepared to eliminate it.  If I can see him, I'll dispatch him.  But to this point, I haven't been successful in actually seeing him.  How can I either eliminate him, or make him move on?
I'd put a 330 conibear over each hole.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

They’re partial to Budweiser, I’m told.
I knew a guy who ran a hose from his car exhaust to the hole.  It won't work anymore because modern exhaust is too clean.  

I knew a guy who ran a garden hose to drown the animal.

I think a pest control professional would handle this in a more humane manner.  That would be my first choice.  Lure, trap and remove.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
When we first moved out to our acerage we had an infestation of Groundhogs...I mean a whole colony along the edge of the 7 acre pond. I culled them down via shooting until I got down to the last one (out of 12 that I shot). It became VERY wily and would run at the slightest sound if I tried to get to where I could take a clear/safe shot. So I resorted to trying to live trap, no joy though I did catch several raccoons and possums. Here is how I finally cleared out the last den - https://www.amazon.com/Revenge-Rodent-8-...moke+bombs

You need to find ALL the exit holes for the compound not sure about badgers, but groundhogs always have an emergency outlet. You light and drop one of these down each hole and let the smoke settle in. The vermin will NOT run over a smoking, sputtering smoke bomb so they suffocate. I also stood by with a .22 pistol incase they did make a brake for it but they worked well. Once done I filled in the holes and they have not come back.
I think my approach would be the smoke bombs as well. They really work, and since the animal dies in the hole you don't have a disposal problem. I throw them in the hole and then cover it up quickly. If there's another one connected, you need to cover it up as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks, all.

I've used smoke bombs before, but I've never been sure of their effectiveness.  Perhaps if I did a better job of finding the "back door" I could be more sure.

Understand about humane trapping, but I hear arguments all over the place, including reputable people who say that relocation is often less humane than a quick depredation.

There's a guy on Craigslist who advertises pest control devices that use the exhaust from a small engine that's routed into the hole.  Before I would buy one of those, I'd just take my mower to the hole and let it run with a hose attached.  My 26hp two-cylinder Gravely puts out a lot more exhaust than that little device.

I did my usual with the holes this morning; used a long stick, 5 gallons of water, and a rake to put all the soil back into the hole, this time as sloppy mud.  If those holes come back, I'll try the smoke bombs again.
Could those holes be from it digging to get a meal?  Doesn't look like the badger holes I found back in Texas.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Dry Ice and fill some of the holes
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-20-2018, 08:05 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: They’re partial to Budweiser, I’m told.

Nope. Miller.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)