Metal dust and dust collection
Hello all,

I have a dust collector with a 1 micron canister filter.

If I were to sand/grind metal on a disk sander or mill brass on my router table would using the DC hurt the machine?

I'm especially concerned about damage to the filter.  I also don't want to start a fire with hot metal pieces being mixed in with wood dust.

But I don't want metal dust (especially steel) settling on my lumber and staining it.
Peter

My "day job"
I would worry about fire.  We have had a couple of fires at work related to mixing wood and metal.  In particular, you probably don't want to pull hot metal into your dust collection system.  I would just not use it while grinding metal and wait for things to cool down and clean up by hand or with a shopvac
Probably the best solution for this is a separate dust collector system altogether.

I need to deal with this some day as well.

My current plan is to put all the tools that
generate metal dust, ie belt sanders, grinders etc, on a rolling cart that I can
push out of my garage when I use them.  I am fortunate in that the wood shop
is in a separate building so contaminating the wood has not been an issue.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(04-20-2018, 01:28 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

If I were to sand/grind metal on a disk sander or mill brass on my router table would using the DC hurt the machine?

I'm especially concerned about damage to the filter.  I also don't want to start a fire with hot metal pieces being mixed in with wood dust.

But I don't want metal dust (especially steel) settling on my lumber and staining it.

If you can disconnect your filter canister from the system, or otherwise bypass it, you could blow it out a window.  

John
(04-20-2018, 01:28 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

I regularly go from wood to aluminum, brass and steel. I have accidently sent sparks into my shop vac with a filter bag filled with sawdust. No fire, but I kept an eye on it.

As a rule, I'd say it's a very bad idea to use your wood dust collection for steel, brass and aluminum.

The "dust" doesn't stay suspended like wood dust. Cover your wood, tools, etc with a sheet while grinding. Easy, peasy.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(04-20-2018, 02:52 PM)CLETUS Wrote: I regularly go from wood to aluminum, brass and steel. I have accidently sent sparks into my shop vac with a filter bag filled with sawdust. No fire, but I kept an eye on it.

As a rule, I'd say it's a very bad idea to use your wood dust collection for steel, brass and aluminum.

The "dust" doesn't stay suspended like wood dust. Cover your wood, tools, etc with a sheet while grinding. Easy, peasy.

I think that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
I'm with Cletus.  
Cool

Get one of those "floor sweep" magnets or something similar to make clean-up easier.

And plan ahead to send the sparks where they will not do damage and be easier to clean up.

A piece of cardboard, etc can make a great deflector.

I try to go outside when I've got any heavy cutting/grinding to do -- helps with "domestic tranquility, especially if I need to do some welding.
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(04-20-2018, 03:04 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I think that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks
Metal particles can be sharp and will/may "cling" to your filter and be hard to remove, unlike wood dust. I would just cover what I want to protect.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset