Holdfasts - Non Cast Models
Who makes the best holdfast?  I have had my fill of the cracking cast holdfasts. I have been eyeballing the Holdfasts by Gramercy Tools

Thanks in advance!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
Lots of good choices. The Gramercy ones are excellent, as many will attest. Lie Nielsen has good ones. You can find nice blacksmith-made holdfasts by looking online at ebay or etsy. Quite a few blacksmiths make them. I'm sure folks will chime in here with names. If you want to go 1",  of course, Crucible Tools (Lost Art Press) has good ones.
I’ve had a pair of grammercy holdfasts for what has to be over a decade now. They work well. I cracked a cast one within a week prior to buying these.
-Marc

(04-20-2018, 08:40 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I’ve had a pair of grammercy holdfasts for what has to be over a decade now. They work well. I cracked a cast one within a week prior to buying these.

gramercy all the way. Love mine going on 5 years or so.
Only ones I have ever used are Gramercy. So I have no way to compare to
anything else. I find them to work every time without complaint. They are
not expensive for the work they do either.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I bought the gramercy a couple weeks ago. Be sure to read the note they send with it. Using coarse sandpaper in a lateral direction (not up and down) made them hold really well, while straight out of the box they wouldn't hold in my 3" top. They hold really well now and I have really been enjoying having a holdfast. I previously used only a face vise.
I got a pair on the "Old Tool List", during the Santa Swap. Mine were from Phil from Alaska and made by Jake the Russian. Work dimply great!

I would go Gramercy. For the record, the first I had (several decades ago) were pony/Jorgensen. They were cast and worked well. Never broke, no katter yow much I hit them.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thanks for all the replies!  I have a pair of Gramercy Holdfasts on their way to my shop 
Wink
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I have two of the Grammercy holdfasts. They are excellent. I use them all the time. But my favorites are the Veritas hold downs.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,41637

Try them. They are the best!
The LN holdfasts are awesome.