Help with my riding mower
(04-21-2018, 02:44 PM)scpapa Wrote: With the electrical interfaces engaged, I get 1.6 volts at the starter terminal with the key in start position.
Then I jumped from + on battery to + terminal on starter and get some sparks but that is all.
Now what??

Rick

At this point check that the starter gear isn't jammed in the flywheel. If it is it won't budge. The starter has very little torque and has to get a running start before engaging the flywheel. 

If it isn't jammed try turning the motor by hand a bit then try to start it and see if the motor spins. 

Failing that look into the starter itself. 

I don't know where you are but if you are near me I'd be happy to look at it for you. Worst case is a new starter and they are way cheaper now than they were years ago. Even not figuring inflation they are cheap now.
Robert Adams, thanks for the offer, but I am in South Carolina. The starter is not jammed and not touching the flywheel. I can pull the starter gear out by hand and rotate. I think I may have a compromised starter.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
Just dovetailing on what Robert said. If the gear is jammed, it's real difficult to bush back down. Easier to loosen the mounting bolts on the starter and it will usually just fall back down Loos bolts can cause the jamb, so can a loose flywheel. A jammed starter won't turn.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(04-21-2018, 01:35 PM)Pirate Wrote: Jump the solenoid. Old screwdriver accross 2 big terminals. Beware. It can start, in gear, or with blade engaged!
If no go check bat connection at starter.
Check starter with jumper cables from car to battery terminal on starter, and to starter housing.

Did you clean all the connections, not just the Battery terminal.  I worked on one for my neighbor with that problem.  If I remember correctly, it was the connections on the seat switch.  After I took that apart and clean it,the mower would start.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(04-22-2018, 05:33 AM)Cecil Wrote: Did you clean all the connections, not just the Battery terminal.  I worked on one for my neighbor with that problem.  If I remember correctly, it was the connections on the seat switch.  After I took that apart and clean it,the mower would start.

Did clean the seat connection and the relay connections. I think I got them all.
I ordered a new starter just in case.
Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
Negative jumper cables from car negative battery post, on car to starter housing on mower.
Positive jumper from positive battery post on car to battery cable terminal on starter.
Can't eliminate everything else much easier.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(04-22-2018, 12:14 PM)Pirate Wrote: Negative jumper cables from car negative battery post, on car to starter housing on mower.
Positive jumper from positive battery post on car to battery cable terminal on starter.
Can't eliminate everything else much easier.
Did that with different mower battery; no joy
Sad

Rick
MAGA!!
I said to use car to jump because, with car running, you know there is enough juice.
And no go, assuming jumper cables are a good connection, the starter is toast.
Good luck.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
If you suspect the starter or suspect it is jammed, pull it off the mower. Ground the case and then jump to the post on it. If it spins it was jammed, if it doesn't it is bad. I went through this with a starter on a generator a few months ago. A small engine starter is a small engine starter.

Another possibility is the carb is bad or needs cleaning and is leaking gas into the crankcase. The starter won't turn the engine over if the cylinder is full of gas. I've had that happen on a mower. the spark plug was wet and smelled like gas.
I will assemble the new starter on Tuesday. I will be out of the country for a few days. I'll post an update afterwards.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

Rick
MAGA!!