WOOD Magazine Cabinet Saw Shop Test
I just received the July issue of Wood Magazine.  In it, there is an article concerning their shop test of cabinet style table saws.  I must say that I was quite disappointed.

Sure, they did tests on all the usual favorites, 3 from the Grizzly/Shop Fox stable, Delta, Powermatic, Jet, and of course SawStop.  I think we are all familiar with most of these saws and quite frankly all have been reviewed to death by now.  

It would have been interesting at least if they could have tested some of the other cabinet saws out there.  Rikon, Laguna and Baileigh all offer cabinet saws but little is known about them, at least by me. 

Many of the woodworking magazines have been accused of just reprinting the same stuff over and over again.  This newest "shop test" is an example that that statement might have some merit.
Good point. I no longer subscribe to any woodworking magazines and your observation is part of the reason. Another part is the biennial (approximately) repetition of content. Woodworking does not have innovation at the pace of the tech sector for example but there must be something new under the sun.
(04-21-2018, 01:45 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: I just received the July issue of Wood Magazine.  In it, there is an article concerning their shop test of cabinet style table saws.  I must say that I was quite disappointed.

Sure, they did tests on all the usual favorites, 3 from the Grizzly/Shop Fox stable, Delta, Powermatic, Jet, and of course SawStop.  I think we are all familiar with most of these saws and quite frankly all have been reviewed to death by now.  

It would have been interesting at least if they could have tested some of the other cabinet saws out there.  Rikon, Laguna and Baileigh all offer cabinet saws but little is known about them, at least by me. 

Many of the woodworking magazines have been accused of just reprinting the same stuff over and over again.  This newest "shop test" is an example that that statement might have some merit.

I don't, and never have, taken Wood Magazine so I didn't see the article. Did they establish parameters for the test? If so, there could be a reason(s) those saws were selected. If not, maybe you have a beef.

Doug
It may be that they choose the candidates using market share or some sales metric, and the 3 you mentioned aren't near the top 6 (or 10, whatever). I like the tool reviews they do, you seldom see side by side comparisons...but I often come to a different conclusion. I did have you reaction to the DC review they did some years ago...they left out Clearview. They did several complaints about that, and later did a follow up with just the CV. So I guess they do listen to reader feedback. That said, the magazine business seems to be dying, or at least faltering in the new electronic age and as they lose subscribers they probably have to come up with more econimical ways to do things...maybe cutting out some brands is one of those ways.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
They review the most advertisers money saws. Then give the best tool award to the biggest advertiser. In this case it was once again sawstop for their "unique safety system--a monumental advantage--it's a no brainer" factor. I know 80+ year old woodworkers with 8 fingers & 2 thumbs & none of them ever had the need for the overpriced "unique safety system". The Grizzly G1023RLX is the Top Tool in this review.
(04-25-2018, 07:07 AM)GlenS Wrote: They review the most advertisers money saws. Then give the best tool award to the biggest advertiser. In this case it was once again sawstop for their "unique safety system--a monumental advantage--it's a no brainer" factor. I know 80+ year old woodworkers with 8 fingers & 2 thumbs & none of them ever had the need for the overpriced "unique safety system".  The Grizzly G1023RLX is the Top Tool in this review.

You didn't say whether you've ever known or spoken with anyone who's lost digits or suffered a catastrophic injury on a tablesaw - I have. Several years ago a father came on this forum and posted a story about his very young son who wanted to "help" dad in the shop; dad allowed him to push a board through the tablesaw and in that moment of inattention, the son suffered a tablesaw injury to his hand. The father posted here just to remind others here that it can happen to anyone. He was obviously heartbroken. I'm pretty sure that any who've had these experiences would gladly trade a few more dollars for a catastrophic injury.

This overpriced "unique safety system" as you describe it must have a lot of buyers fooled - for some reason they just don't know it is overpriced based on Sawstop sales, including tons of members here who have bought them. 

Doug
SS PCS driver
(04-21-2018, 01:45 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: I just received the July issue of Wood Magazine.  In it, there is an article concerning their shop test of cabinet style table saws.  I must say that I was quite disappointed.

I sort of agree. It would be nice if they included others in there (like they did long ago when doing reviews)

Lemme guess.....Best overall is sawstop, best value is grizz. I didnt read the article, but can imagine what it says. 

Frankly I dont pay much attention to magazine  reviews anymore.  It doesnt take long on the internet to find whats wrong with a tool these days. I really like the idea I saw on youtube about ranking a tool based on whats important to you. Thats how I decided on my dust collector. Frankly it wasn't even on my radar till I did a point scale, and it was on top, by quite a bit. Over a year and I have been super pleased.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Just received my issue today, also.  They did mention in a margin note that the Laguna and Rikon were released too late for them to review, so maybe they'll do a follow-up.

In another article there was also mention of the Chinese crackdown on pollution, which has effected machinery manufacturing (and others). So supplies could be a bit short in some cases, and/or prices may increase a bit, so if you're planning a purchase you may not want to wait. And who knows the future of the whole tariff thing.

Trying to decide if I want to get a SS before the free accessory offer expires 4/30.  Would replace my 1945 Unisaw and I'm interested in the bigger table, better fence, great dust collection, the safety would be nice to have, too.
Carl

(04-25-2018, 05:45 PM)packerguy® Wrote: I sort of agree. It would be nice if they included others in there (like they did long ago when doing reviews)

Lemme guess.....Best overall is sawstop, best value is grizz. I didnt read the article, but can imagine what it says. 

Frankly I dont pay much attention to magazine  reviews anymore.  It doesn't take long on the internet to find whats wrong with a tool these days. I really like the idea I saw on youtube about ranking a tool based on whats important to you. Thats how I decided on my dust collector. Frankly it wasn't even on my radar till I did a point scale, and it was on top, by quite a bit. Over a year and I have been super pleased.

I agree with this statement. It's all about what is important to you. All the reviews on routers rave about Porter Cable, Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc. (I do have PC and Dewalt) however I was reading an article in a WW magazine a few years ago and Makita routers were mentioned. For some reason most folks don't think about Makita when talking about routers. I decided to take a look on Ebay and found a couple of smoking deals on a couple of D-handles. Very nice routers, quiet, soft-start, plenty powerful and smooth. 

It's all about what the tool is to you IMO.

Doug
Not a lot of action in the world of table saws. We used to have an active thread open just about all the time. It seems to be an afterthought these days.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.