Kraft 3' Paper Roll Dispenser/Cutter - Homemade Options?
Hi All - still in the process of re-organizing my basement shop - maybe a trivial post but might just get the idea(s) I need?  I use 3' Kraft heavy-duty brown paper rolls (like the one below) - usually I roll it out on the floor and cut or tear off a piece - used to cover work bench(s) during glue ups and other projects.

I'd like to build some type of hanging/wall dispenser w/ a cutter that would allow me to simply roll out the length desired, then tear quickly and neatly - I've made one for a roll of cloth (w/o a cutter) and for paper towels (short) - I've looked for commercial products - all rather outrageously priced for their apparent lack of quality, especially those under $100; now there are much more expensive ones (2nd pic below), but for my purposes a waste of money - SO, has anyone made a 3 foot dowel holder for such a paper roll that incorporates some type of cutter (even a row of hacksaw blades)?  Thanks for any suggestions.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Interested in this as well.
-Marc

You could set it up like a paper towel holder and use part of a band saw blade for the cutter or better yet rig something up using one of the razor type that comes on commercial rolls of saran wrap that trap the blade in a slot.  I guess you could use a utility knife blade.  The paper runs over the the bed that is slotted for the blade, the blade pulls through as you move it from the right or left.  Your hand is away from the blade and safe for others to use

I had a guy working for me that grabbed the old style saran wrap box with the hacksaw type cutter as it started to drop off a table that cutter cut tendons in his hand this design is way safer

[Image: stick-on-type-cling-film-cutte-box.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(04-21-2018, 05:27 PM)giradman Wrote: Hi All - still in the process of re-organizing my basement shop - maybe a trivial post but might just get the idea(s) I need?  I use 3' Kraft heavy-duty brown paper rolls (like the one below) - usually I roll it out on the floor and cut or tear off a piece - used to cover work bench(s) during glue ups and other projects.

I'd like to build some type of hanging/wall dispenser w/ a cutter that would allow me to simply roll out the length desired, then tear quickly and neatly - I've made one for a roll of cloth (w/o a cutter) and for paper towels (short) - I've looked for commercial products - all rather outrageously priced for their apparent lack of quality, especially those under $100; now there are much more expensive ones (2nd pic below), but for my purposes a waste of money - SO, has anyone made a 3 foot dowel holder for such a paper roll that incorporates some type of cutter (even a row of hacksaw blades)?  Thanks for any suggestions.  Dave
Smile

I've been considering this as well and have a few thoughts.  First, that 500ft roll is fairly heavy, and as anyone who has bought planes from me knows, I often wrap in brown kraft paper; I get the 140' rolls from Home Depot for $12, and I think that would be easier to handle and not so disruptive to refill, so that's one thing.

Second, I don't think you need an integrated cutter with a blade or serration, kraft paper is pretty soft; when I was a butcher in my youth, we used brown "butcher paper"  that was a lot stiffer than kraft, and all the dispenser had was a stout and fairly heavy 1"- 1 1/4" steel bar beveled at one end, not sharp per se, but the bevel came to a point, that rested on top of the roll and was enough to provide a guide to rip the paper across very nicely with one hand.  I can't remember if the bar was spring loaded, but if I were making it that's the way I'd do it.

So I'd be thinking a rod to hold the roll, affixed appropriately to two end pieces, then a piece of flat steel for the "cutter" rigged some way to extend over the roll (not connected to the rod) with a spring load.  This needs a bit of engineering, but you get the drift....

Whatever you do, pics, as I'd be interested in your final design.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The design in my head is thinking bar also with pivoting spring loaded bar across maybe with hacksaw blades screwed on. It would keep tension on roll edge too.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks All for your thoughts - the 3' roll that I have is not the 500 foot one (maybe 200'), so does not weigh that much - need to find an out-of-the-way place in the basement, maybe under the stairs?  I'll likely use a long 'thick' dowel between two hangers (possibly just 2x4s) - will have to think about a cutting option - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
My roll is on a dowel between 2x4's

For cutting get a "zippy cutter" from Amazon

I wore out 1 cutter after about 20 years
(04-22-2018, 08:27 AM)giradman Wrote: Thanks All for your thoughts - the 3' roll that I have is not the 500 foot one (maybe 200'), so does not weigh that much - need to find an out-of-the-way place in the basement, maybe under the stairs?  I'll likely use a long 'thick' dowel between two hangers (possibly just 2x4s) - will have to think about a cutting option - Dave
Smile

Maybe just mount it on a floor joist above you.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks again All for the suggestions - not sure how thick my roll was when new, probably half gone now and about 3-4" - the floor joists are open in the basement and could be used, but I'm only 5 1/2 ft tall (8' ceilings) so would have to drop the hangers maybe a foot or use a step stool which I have nearby.  The zip cutter looks like a simple solution and I may even have one or two hiding somewhere.  Away for a week to the coast, so will get back to these ideas soon.  Thanks again.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(04-22-2018, 03:50 PM)giradman Wrote: Thanks again All for the suggestions - not sure how thick my roll was when new, probably half gone now and about 3-4" - the floor joists are open in the basement and could be used, but I'm only 5 1/2 ft tall (8' ceilings) so would have to drop the hangers maybe a foot or use a step stool which I have nearby.  The zip cutter looks like a simple solution and I may even have one or two hiding somewhere.  Away for a week to the coast, so will get back to these ideas soon.  Thanks again.  Dave
Smile

you need an ornate pulley system to get that right
Smirk
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.