Mobile Base Question - PM 719T
I just scored this off of Craigslist:

[Image: IMG_1918.jpg]
I am looking for suggestions for a good mobile base for this.

Thanks!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
This one works well with my Jet:

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D2057A-A...dpSrc=srch
(04-22-2018, 06:41 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: This one works well with my Jet:

Thank you Hank!
I grabbed a pile of these Portamate 1000's.  However, the Shop Fox has a 75% greater capacity for the same price.  I grabbed them when Home Depot was closing them out for ~$20 per.  The wheels are a bit small, but they work well on a smooth floor.    Portamate does make heaver duty units, for more money.

With the Portamate I can kick the cams with my foot to raise and lower the wheels.  With the Shop Fox you will need need to bend over and screw the feet up and down.  For a healthy woodworker that is not an issue.  I have been doing that on my RAS for ~40 years.  I just thought I would point out that little issue, just in case. 

[Image: pm-1000_1.jpg]
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(04-22-2018, 06:41 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: This one works well with my Jet:

+1
(04-22-2018, 06:41 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: This one works well with my Jet:

I use one of these on my 14" bandsaw, and another Shop Fox on my Unisaw, and they're great.  It can be sort of a pain to assemble, but once together they're very solid.  I definitely prefer it to the one HTC Portamate that I also have.
Thank you very much for the input guys!

John
Have they improved the casters on those Shop Fox bases? The ones I bought years ago were horrible. The tires disintegrated rather quickly. The odd metric spacing doesn't leave much room for alternatives. My shaper and spindle sander are on blocks with no casters as a result.

The HTC and welded Delta mobile bases I bought (in the same time period) do not have wheel issues.

Under my Jet mortiser I just installed locking stem casters under the corners. They are braced and drill at the base of the cabinet.
"During times of universal deceit, Telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

-- George Orwell
(04-22-2018, 07:49 AM)Cecil Wrote: With the Portamate I can kick the cams with my foot to raise and lower the wheels.  With the Shop Fox you will need need to bend over and screw the feet up and down.  For a healthy woodworker that is not an issue.  I have been doing that on my RAS for ~40 years.  I just thought I would point out that little issue, just in case. 

[Image: pm-1000_1.jpg]

I have a couple of those Portamates - including one underneath the mortiser - and I don't care for them necessarily especially with the smallish base of this floor standing mortiser.  When you lower the wheels and effectively raise one end of the machine to move it, it produces a pronounced tilt of this very top heavy machine.  I've had this mortiser for a few years with this particular mobile base, but the tilt has always bothered me and I have been considering replacing it with a non-tilting mobile base option.  
 [Image: IMG_1828.jpg]
I do wish I can find the following Jet Mobile bases for a reasonable price again.  I have one under my floor standing drill press.  The advantage with the Jet is the wheels simply un/lock with your foot - so no bending down - plus no tilting of the mounted machine as well when you need to move it.  About $80 on Amazon.
[Image: jetn708118.jpg]
If I don't get the Jet, I already do have the Shop Fox mobile base also mentioned.  Ths Shop Fox doesn't tilt (applause from audience) and won't even sniff at the weight, but my only knock is that even in its smallest configuration, it is still much larger than it needs to be to accomodate the mortiser's base - requiring a bigger footprint than is necessary.   Not sure, but I may have a bought a size too large (sneers from crowd). May be fine for those with larger shops, but I am real estate challenged.  I may just cut down the bars and drill and tap a few more holes on the frame bars.  I know - 1st world problems.
I recently bought a Grizzly Bearcrawl Mobile Base. I suggest you take a look at it. For $60 it’s very well made. I have it under a Nova Voyager DVR. Only complaint I have is there is more play than I would llike in the lifter mechanism.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."