Painting face frame cabinet
I am in the process of painting kitchen cabinets that were originally stained and varnished. Do you have any tips on getting paint into the joints in the frame?
For face frames, I’d fill small and short joints with bondo or caulk. If you expect a lot of season humidity changes in the home the bondo may very well crack in the dry season unless you have a humidifier. For long vertical joints I’ve always used the smallest amount of caulk I could use to fill the joint and not take away from any profiles. A flex putty knife with a slightly rounded tip works well to tool the caulk and get in deeper where your finger can’t access. A damp tile sponge works well too. This is for 90 degree corner joints.

Spackling paste is also a decent and quick to use filler for smaller holes or defects. Paste is a heavier bodied filler compared to the traditional lightweight spackling.

you might want to consider a thinner first coat to get into the cracks... something with floetrol or some other additive.  maybe your paint supplier could have suggestions.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(04-24-2018, 08:42 AM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: For face frames, I’d fill small and short joints with bondo or caulk.  If you expect a lot of season humidity changes in the home the bondo may very well crack in the dry season unless you have a humidifier.  For long vertical joints I’ve always used the smallest amount of caulk I could use to fill the joint and not take away from any profiles.  A flex putty knife with a slightly rounded tip works well to tool the caulk and get in deeper where your finger can’t access.  A damp tile sponge works well too.  This is for 90 degree corner joints.

Spackling paste is also a decent and quick to use filler for smaller holes or defects.  Paste is a heavier bodied filler compared to the traditional lightweight spackling.

Agree on the bondo.  I use spackle a lot for small defects, scratches, etc.  Thin coats for all - less sanding.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.