Drilling hardened steel
Hello all,

I'm working on a project that I've been planning for 4 years now 
Crazy

But now I realized that I'll need to drill hardened steel (plane blades).

Well, it can be done fairly easily.

Get a granite masonry drill bit in the correct size.  It's $11 and I think it'll stay sharp for 3-4 holes at least, maybe more.

Apply lots of cutting oil, tighten your DP chuck as much as you can, and make sure your steel is well clamped so that there is no chance that it'll move.

Slow speed and lots of pressure and you get this.

This is an M2 hardened blade for a Veritas Bevel up plane, 3/16" thick with a new .250" hole in it.

A very clean hole.

I just wanted to share in case anyone ever needed to do this.
Peter

My "day job"
Interesting, I would not have thought about that approach.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yes, carbide drill bits will work!  So will carbide tipped drill bits, which will give a cleaner cut, but they are also quite a bit more expensive than a typical masonry bit.

Now, the real question...

How did you get an M2 steel plane blade from Lee Valley?  I didn't even know they made them.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Is that new hole off center?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(04-24-2018, 06:32 AM)AHill Wrote: Yes, carbide drill bits will work!  So will carbide tipped drill bits, which will give a cleaner cut, but they are also quite a bit more expensive than a typical masonry bit.

Now, the real question...

How did you get an M2 steel plane blade from Lee Valley?  I didn't even know they made them.
When Veritas was testing alloys before they came out with PM-V11 one of the test steels was M2.

This was one of the test blades.

I posted years ago about my affection for exotic steel because I sharpen with diamonds.

Rob Lee saw it and sent me the blade.  It has had about 1/4" - 3/8" of wear put on it so it is near the end of it's useful life.  But I remove so little metal every year that it'll be good for me for a while.

I have to use the second hole and extend the adjuster quite far to get the blade to extract from the plane body.
Peter

My "day job"
(04-24-2018, 07:51 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Is that new hole off center?

Shhh!!! 

Don't say anything 
Laugh

Actually it's a larger hole than the other two.  It is off center by maybe .01" but because it is a large hole and the camera angle it looks farther off than it really it.
Peter

My "day job"
(04-24-2018, 09:08 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Shhh!!! 

Don't say anything 
Laugh

Actually it's a larger hole than the other two.  It is off center by maybe .01" but because it is a large hole and the camera angle it looks farther off than it really it.

Check out a milldrill if you plan to do these all the time

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm glad I am not the only one that saw it as off center!

Laugh
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(04-24-2018, 09:10 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Check out a milldrill if you plan to do these all the time

I most certainly do not plan on doing much of this.

I have two pieces of steel that I need to drill with 2-3 holes in each.

I suspect that that is all of the hardened steel drilling that I'll do in my lifetime.
Peter

My "day job"
Upon closer inspection, that hole IS way off!!

[Image: 8VIK7EQ.jpg]
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh