Apothecary chest
When I attached the metal knobs (too large and not right ... ugh!), I was swayed by Lynndy, who said to place the knobs square to the drawer front, since she liked the idea of them fanning from the front of the chest and accentuating the curve. In practice, this was not a good idea. Opening the drawers felt wierd - one is used to a drawer opening in the directing of the pull. These drawers did not do so. The opened at an angle to the pull. It felt wierd. Lynndy thought it charming. She is wierd.

Having turned new Black Walnut knobs to match the drawer fronts, against the advice of some who argued for dark, perhaps Ebony knobs, I know had to decide how I would fit them. As before? No, I did not want that. I wanted to set the square to the drawer recess.

There were two issues here: how to drill them the same as each other.? It would look a mess if some varied out of line. And then there was the fact that the drawer fronts curves and angled, which meant that the knobs would go in at an angle. One side would sit in- and the other side proud of the surface.

I designed a couple of jigs to drill accurately. Fortunately I did not waste time making them ( I have no time in the kitty to get this piece ready for the upcoming West Australian Woodshow. It is days away). The simplest solution occurred to me last night. Use the drill press. Duh!

All that was needed was to ensure the drawer was held vertically, and then use progressively larger bits until the size I needed (3/8"), the tenon of the knob.

[Image: image.jpg]

That went smoothly.

The holes were then widened slightly on one side with a step drill bit to allow to seat the knobs evenly.

I have begun installing the knobs with wedges. The cabinet and drawer fronts have had a coat of Livos oil, and you can now get an idea of how the knobs blend in (the drawers are proud of the cabinet as the oil is drying)

I completed the base for the chest this afternoon, but I am not thrilled with the design. I'll make a decision tomorrow whether to use it or not.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
It looks great. I’m sure that whatever you decide on for the base will also.
FINAL

Talk about down to the wire. It's 11 p.m. and I've just completed a coat of Howard's wax after the last coat of Livos Universal Wood Oil. The drawers were all finished inside and out with Ubeaut Hard Shellac (dewaxed blond shellac). The inside of the chest (drawer recesses) was given a coat of paste wax. Tomorrow morning I take the chest to the Perth Showground for the annual West Australian Wood Show, where it will take its place among others in the furniture competition. I started this piece 3 months ago.

I could tell you how the base gave me fits. It was a difficult task to design a stand for a curved cabinet. Probably why Krenov never built an apothecary chest!
Smile Last night I completed the base, and Lynndy loved it. Compound curves forever. darn sexy. The base, that is.

But when I placed the chest on it, the combination looked awful ... top heavy ... ugh! I was out of wood, out of time, and it looked like I was out of the competition.

This morning I woke up and had an inspiration. Cut the legs shorter. This evening, after work, I did just that. And I like the finished piece. I think the balance is right. So does Lynndy, which matters. The dimensions are 1000 high (39") x 460mm (18") across.

Here is the chest, and where it will be positioned in the entrance hall ...

A few pics of the base ...

[Image: 15a.jpg]

[Image: 14a.jpg]

Much time was spent designing and building the drawers, which curve across the fronts ...

[Image: 11a.jpg]

Yes, I changed the steel for brass screws (no slotted ones the correct size, however) ...

[Image: 12a.jpg]

And made knobs in the same Black Walnut, and fitted coplanar to the drawer recess (that was a headache before finally coming up with the simplest solution, to use the drill press!) ..

[Image: 8ax.jpg]

I was very pleased with the drawer stops ...

[Image: 13a.jpg]

... and you can see the shiplapped back if you peak ...

[Image: 18a.jpg]

It has been a long, but exhilarating build. I hope that you got something from it too.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I think the base looks just right. Proportions can get challenging and I sometimes fail to work them out on paper sufficiently first, so I think when they work out this well you can exhale with a smile.

To be honest this is not my favorite piece you’ve made, but I applaud tackling those curves and admire the problem solving you have shown. Thanks for taking us on a thrilling ride!
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Great work, as usual, Derek.  Best of luck at the Wood Show!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I think you made the right call on cutting the legs. Functionally, it would have been too tall to really use the upper drawers with the full length legs. We have an old file cabinet that has card catalog drawers at the top. They are right about 5 foot high and can be a pain to use.

Good luck at the show.  Your entry looks great.
Good luck,Derek.I am sure the folks here at woodnet,would have already given you the win.Love your build alongs.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
World class.  As always.
Best of luck at the show.
You have won here in any case!!!

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(08-02-2018, 10:45 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote: World class.  As always.
Best of luck at the show.
You have won here in any case!!!

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool

I agree. Great job and great build thread!
Beautiful. You are a very skilled craftsmen

There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

My stuff