pocket hole fixture
I was thinking about getting a pocket hole fixture for some cabinet work.  The higher end Kreg fixtures look good, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money due to the fact that I'm unlikely to use it much.  There is a Chinese knockoff for $65. 

The cheapest Kreg costs $2 more than the drill bit, $18.  I thought about that one, but it looks like it might not be too much fun to use.

Somewhere I have an old Kreg that is basically a welding clamp style locking plier  with an aluminum block for the drill guide. I have never used it.

Any recommendations?
You will be amazed how often you will end up using a pocket hole fixture.

The Kreg single hole "mini" jig (kit) is just $20.00.  The dual hole kit is $40.00.

I have an older cast aluminum Kreg jig that cost a good bit more.  I recently upgraded to a Porter-Cable unit.

Some people choose to use pocket holes for everything.  I use pocket holes, biscuits, dowels, screws and Confirmat depending upon the situation.  

If you are not sure, then go for the $20.00 kit.  It takes up very little room and is cheap enough.  It is slower to use than the bigger units, but if you think you are only going to use it infrequently, then go for the small kit.

I don't know the quality of the Chinese product.  Harbor Freight sells one too.  

This is the mini from Kreg.  The clam is not included.  You have to re-position it for each hole.  The two hole version means one clamping for typical face frames.
[Image: mini-jig-6.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Go for it.  I bought the "full kit" many years ago.  Had it several years before using it.  In the past two years alone, I must have gone through 5 or 6 boxes of screws.  In every case someone was wanting some simple frame and panel cabinets.  Pocket hole screws are no substitute for M&T but they do allow for faster assembly.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
If you are just starting out check out the milescraft jig. It's a much improved version over the kreg. The magnet in it is a great idea.
I have the 2 hole model. $39.
It works, but after buying it I found a steel of a sale on a used, large Kreg kit. Haven't been able to find a model number. It comes with 2 drill bits, and spacers, toggle setup like a K4, with single hole portable jig also. Anyone know of older model Kreg kits?
It so much faster and easier than the clamp on 2 hole portable.
Maybe 5 times faster.l
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I am not ashamed to admit I dig pocket hole joinery.  If you plan it right, none of them may be exposed.

My rolling shop carts were primarily made with pocket hole joinery:

[Image: IMG_2602.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2597.jpg]
The carts have a similar hole pattern on the tops which allow various tools to be mounted to them, like a Kreg station with a homebrew dust collection setup:

[Image: 8a932aafc3_b.jpg]
Pocket hole joinery is sometimes used as a quickie substitute for actual wood joinery.
Smile
Wood is good. 
(04-26-2018, 10:22 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: Pocket hole joinery is sometimes used as a quickie substitute for actual wood joinery.
Smile

It has its place.  Where there is no structural stress on the joint, certainly face frames, and I can see using it for utility pieces.  But for traditional furniture, my preference is traditional joinery.....  when I'm reincarnated in 200 years I want to see my work on the Antique Road Show!  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
For occasional use, I think the simple, 2 hole jig would suffice quite well.  I have one.  I use it once in a while.  Certainly not enough that I could justify spending much more money on one of the fancier kits.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

If you plan on making multiple cabinets, I highly recommend going with the K4 or better jig.  The clamp style wokrd if you are doing a couple of holes, but you will start to lose your mind in positioning and reclamping the jig at each individual you have to drill as opposed to dropping it in the jig and pulling the clamp handle.  I built pantry, laundry room, and 2 bathroom vanity cabinets and I say I saved literally hours of time and frustration.